David Warner arrives in Sydney but refuses to speak on ball-tampering scandal

first_imgSacked Australia vice-captain David Warner on Thursday avoided questions on the ball-tampering scandal upon his arrival at Sydney airport but promised that he will speak on the issue in a couple of days time.Warner, who was sent back home by Cricket Australia for his involvement in the ball-tampering scandal in the Cape Town Test last weekend, landed in Sydney with his wife and two daughters but avoided the media due to the presence of his family members.”As you can understand, it has been a tough, emotional time for my wife and kids,” he said, when asked if he knew head coach Darren Lehmann had just resigned in South Africa.Steve Smith’s tearful apology for ball-tampering: It hurts and I am deeply sorry”At the present time, you’ll hear from me in a couple of days.”At the moment, my priority is to get these kids in bed, and rest up and get my mind a bit clear so I can think, and talk in a couple of days. Thanks guys.”Earlier in the day, Warner took to social media to apologise for his “mistakes” and took “responsibility for it.”Warner further said the ball-tampering incident was “a stain on the game we all love” and informed that people “will hear” from him in a few days.”To cricket fans in Australia and all over the world: I am currently on my way back to Sydney. Mistakes have been made which has damaged cricket. I apologise on my part and take responsibility for it.advertisement”I understand the distress this has caused the sport and its fans. It’s a stain on the game we all love and I have loved since I was a boy. I need to take deep breath and spend time with my family, friends and trusted advisers. You will hear from me in a few days,” Warner wrote on Instagram.Michael Clarke, Mitchell Johnson devastated after Steve Smith breaks downSteve Smith, who was also sent packing with Warner and Cameron Bancroft, broke down during a press conference at the Sydney airport upon his return from South Africa.WATCHSmith took full responsibility for the ball-tampering scandal and said he was deeply sorry for the episode that rocked Australian cricket.”I am sorry. What happened in Cape Town has already been laid down by Cricket Australia. I made a serious error of judgment and I take full responsibility.”It hurts … I’m deeply sorry. I love the game of cricket. I love entertaining young kids … I just want to say sorry for the pain I’ve brought to Australia, to the fans and the public.Ball-tampering row: Steve Smith consoled by father as he breaks down during press conference”If any good can come from this, it can be a lesson to others. I know I will regret this for the rest of my life. I am sorry,” said Smith as he tried to control the tears.”I want to say that I’m very sorry … I’m very disappointed and I regret my actions… It is something I will regret for the rest of my life.”Smith and David Warner were banned for a year by Cricket Australia. Following CA’s decision, BCCI barred the duo from playing in the Indian Premier League this year.Ball-tampering scandal: I panicked, I lied and I am devastated, says Cameron BancroftCameron Bancroft, who was caught by TV cameras trying to tamper the ball, was banned for nine months. Smith has also been banned from leading Australia for a futher 12 months after his return to international cricket. Warner will never be allowed to lead Australia again.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *