Lyft said it made several attempts to use the dispute-resolution process in its contract prior to filing the lawsuit, but that SFMTA hadn’t participated. It added that it’d made a onetime exception to its exclusivity contract to allow Jump to provide e-bikes while it was still developing its e-bike model.Lyft recently signed an agreement with SFMTA to provide another 4,000 hybrid electric bikes that’ll be deployed in the next few weeks, on top of the 4,500 bikes it already provides. A report by the San Francisco Examiner added the SFMTA argues that Lyft’s exclusivity contract only covers bike share services using sidewalk docks, but that Jump is “dockless.” Lyft’s complaint argues that a bike share program can be made up of bikes that are locked in docks, bikes that are dockless, or both. “As we will explain to the court, the agreement between Motivate and the city was about a docked bike share system,” John Coté, communications director of the Office of City Attorney Dennis Herrera, told CNET in an emailed statement. “It does not give Lyft the right to a monopoly on bike sharing in San Francisco. Lyft can seek a permit for dockless bikes on equal footing with everyone else.” Originally published June 7. Update, June 10, 10:10 a.m. PT: Adds comment from Office of City Attorney. Post a comment Now playing: Watch this: Share your voice Uber versus Lyft: Best tips to save you money when you hail a ride Electric scooters are sending scores of people to the… Read also 0 3:07 Mobile Culture Mobile Apps Ford GoBikes have an exclusivity agreement in San Francisco, Lyft argues. Sean Hollister/CNET Lyft has filed a lawsuit to block San Francisco from granting bike share permits to other companies. Lyft entered the San Francisco Bay Area bike share market last year by acquiring Motivate, the company behind Ford GoBike. Uber is in the market thanks to its Jump acquisition in April 2018. The suit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court on Friday, is asking for a temporary restraining order against the city and county of San Francisco. Lyft is “eager to continue investing in the regional bike-share system,” but San Francisco must “honor its contractual commitments to this regional program — not change the rules in the middle of the game,” a company spokesperson said in an emailed statement. Under its 10-year contract with the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), Lyft says it has exclusivity in providing bike sharing services. The complaint asks for the court to “prohibit” San Francisco from “issuing bike share permits, entering into contracts or agreements, or taking any other measures that would disregard, dilute or otherwise prejudice Motivate’s exclusive right to operate a bike share program in the public rights-of-way in San Francisco as to all types of bicycles, including, but not limited to, traditional pedal bikes, e-assist, electric assisted or electric bikes (“e-bikes”), stationed or docked bikes, and/or stationless or dockless bikes. “Motivate seeks both injunctive relief and declaratory relief to protect its negotiated right to exclusivity for a bike-share program.” Tags Legal Lyft Uber
Anthony Levandowski was at the center of the clash between Waymo and Uber. Getty Former Google engineer Anthony Levandowski was charged Tuesday with 33 counts of theft and attempted theft of trade secrets from the search giant, federal prosecutors said. The activities allegedly took place as he prepared to leave Google to build out Uber’s self-driving car operation.The alleged theft spurred a high-profile and bitter lawsuit two years ago between Google’s self-driving car arm, which was renamed Waymo, and Uber. The charges are focused on Levandowski’s work with Otto, a self-driving trucking company that the engineer founded and that Uber acquired in 2016. Google alleged that Levandowski downloaded 14,000 “highly confidential” files describing self-driving technology research and brought them to Otto.Levandowski was indicted by a federal grand jury in San Jose, California. If convicted, he could face a maximum of 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 per charge, the Department of Justice said. Levandowski, wearing a suit and not handcuffed, appeared before US Magistrate Judge Nathanael M. Cousins in San Jose later Tuesday, according to NBC News. Through lawyers, he pleaded not guilty to all charges. The announcement is the latest bombshell in the long-running legal drama between Waymo and Uber. The case, which went to trial in San Francisco last year, provided a rare glimpse into the high-stakes environment of big tech companies, which typically try to shield their inner workings from public view. But only days into the trial, which was expected to last at least three weeks, the two companies abruptly settled, giving Waymo 0.34 percent of Uber’s equity. Tech Industry Tags Waymo v. Uber ends in a huge settlement 1:47 Jaguar’s I-Pace gets the Waymo treatment 38 Photos Share your voice “We have always believed competition should be fueled by innovation, and we appreciate the work of the US Attorney’s Office and the FBI on this case,” a Waymo spokeswoman said in a statement. An Uber spokesman didn’t specifically address the charges, but said in a statement, “We’ve cooperated with the government throughout their investigation and will continue to do so.”A star at GoogleLevandowski is considered a pioneer of autonomous driving technology. In 2004, as a graduate student at UC Berkeley, he competed in the DARPA Grand Challenge for self-driving vehicles. He entered a driverless motorcycle named Ghostrider, which caught the attention of Google. In 2007, he was recruited by Google to become a key part of the search giant’s self-driving car initiative, originally codenamed Project Chauffeur. Levandowski left Google in 2016 to start Otto, which Uber quickly bought for $680 million. The Justice Department’s indictment alleges that Levandowski stole secrets related to lidar (for “light detection and ranging”) technology. The tech allows self-driving cars to “see” their surroundings and detect traffic, pedestrians, bicyclists and other obstacles. The files downloaded by Levandowski allegedly included circuit board schematics, instructions for installing and testing lidar and an internal tracking document, the Justice Department said.”All of us have the right to change jobs,” US Attorney David L. Anderson said in a statement. “None of us has the right to fill our pockets on the way out the door. Theft is not innovation.” Miles Erlich and Ismail Ramsey, Levandowski’s lawyers, disputed the claim that their client stole any secrets. “The downloads at issue occurred while Anthony was still working at Google — when he and his team were authorized to use the information,” they said in a statement. “None of the supposedly secret files ever went to Uber or to any other company.”Even after the settlement between Waymo and Uber last year, Levandowski continued to develop self-driving technology with a new startup called Pronto.ai. After the indictment on Tuesday, Pronto said Levandowski would no longer serve as CEO of the startup. “The criminal charges filed against Anthony relate exclusively to Lidar and do not in any way involve Pronto’s ground-breaking technology. Of course, we are fully supportive of Anthony and his family during this period,” the company said. Originally published Aug. 27 at 10:44 a.m. PT.Update, 3:08 p.m. PT: Adds more background and details from Levandowski’s arraignment. 3 Comments Now playing: Watch this: Google Alphabet Inc.
IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/1:14Loaded: 0%0:01Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-1:13?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … Close Asus 6Z, also known as Asus Zenfone 6Z and Zenfone 6 ZS630KL in other markets, is one of the few smartphones worthy of praise in its price range. Through software updates, companies improve features critical to enhancing the user experience and Asus 6Z users are getting their second software update since the launch and it is worthwhile.Asus is rolling out the latest update with the build number 16.1220.1906.167, which improves the camera, call quality and battery life of the smartphone. The Taiwanese smartphone brand shared the complete changelog of the latest update, which users must know before installing the new update.Asus 6Z (Review) users will see a whole lot of changes in the camera department. For instance, the camera rotation stability is improved, which will allow for smoother camera mechanism during different scenarios such as Panorama shots. The update also improves EIS in videos for smoother recording. If you have an eye for low light shots, the update also enhances Super Night Mode on the 6Z to capture dark images with higher details and lesser noise. Asus 6ZIBTimes India/Sami KhanAdding to the camera enhancements, Asus added a “Retract Camera” button in the quick settings to easily access the camera in case the flip module hasn’t retracted the way it is supposed to.Besides the focus on the camera, the latest FOTA update improves the call quality and extends battery life by optimising the power consumption. There’s also a Mobile Manager and Clean-up system apps in the launcher as shortcuts for those who frequently use these integrated exclusive features. Asus 6ZIBTimes India/Sami KhanAsus 6Z users in India are being treated with system language translation. Finally, the overall system and app stability should be improved with the update.It’s worth pointing out that the FOTA update is being rolled out in phases, so it may take some time before all the phones receive the update depending on their serial numbers. Stay tuned for updates. ROG Phone II is an ultimate flagship with added benefit of optimum gaming experience
Mokabbir KhanGono Forum’s MP-elect Mokabbir Khan, who won the last national polls from Sylhet-2 constituency, took oath as member of the 11th parliament on Tuesday.Tareq Mahmud, director of the Jatiya Sangsad secretariat’s public relation-1, confirmed this to Prothom Alo on Tuesday.Speaker Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury administered the oath at her office at the parliament building this noon.Earlier on Monday, Gono Forum central executive committee member Afsary Ameen Ahmed carried a letter to the parliament around 4:40pm.In response to a letter sent by Mokabbir to the speaker, an arrangement was made to administer the oath at the Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban.
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday ordered the West Bengal State Election Commission (SEC) to make a fresh announcement extending the deadline for filing of nominations, and finalise a new election schedule for the Panchayat polls.A single bench of the court quashed the SEC’s April 10 order that had cancelled the extension for filing nominations which the poll panel had announced on April 9.Justice Subrata Talukdar directed the Commission to issue a fresh deadline extending the day for filing nominations in consultation with the state and other important stakeholders. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsIn his 35-page order, the judge said the Commission would then reschedule the other dates for the election process as per the rules.As the rules provide for 21 days time between the last date of nomination and the first day of polling, the original polling dates of May 1, 3 and 5 would change, as per the court order.Justice Subrata Talukdar also lifted the stay on the election process.Opposition parties — Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), the Congress and the Party of Democratic Socialism (PDS) — had moved the court, accusing the Trinamool of unleashing massive pre-poll violence against their party workers to prevent them from filing nominations for the polls ever since the process began on April 2. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedThe parties were also aggrieved with the SEC after the poll panel on April 10 withdrew its order issued on April 9 night extending the filing of nominations by a day.The SEC had said it withdrew the April 9 notification following a letter of legal advice by Additional Chief Secretary of the West Bengal government Saurabh Kumar Das and Trinamool Congress vice president Kalyan Banerjee that the notification for extension was a violation of the Panchayat Act 46(2). On Friday, Justice Talukdar rejected the state government’s legal advice, saying once the election dates were announced, the state had no role in the election process.As the opposition parties knocked on the doors of the judiciary, Justice Talukdar had on April 12 stayed the Panchayat election process. The Trinamool and the SEC challenged the stay, but a High Court division bench on April 16 refused to interfere in the case, and asked the single bench to hear the case.