Rio’s unsafe Olympic Park ordered closed by Brazilian judge While new Pelicans executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin and coach Alvin Gentry have declined to announce their draft intentions, Gentry chuckled when describing the pressure to get the decision right as “Really very little. Minimal, OK? I think we’ll make the right decision.”The ability to make that first pick this year “gives a boost to our franchise right away,” Gentry said. “We’re going to end up with a really good basketball player.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe Pelicans even posted a compilation of Williamson’s Duke highlights on their official website.The 6-foot-7, 285-pound Williamson was just the second freshman to be a consensus national player of the year, along with Kevin Durant with Texas in 2007. While Williamson has yet to exhibit consistent outside shooting, he has displayed a dominant mix of power, quickness and skill that has convinced scouts of his extraordinary promise as a pro. MOST READ Solon urges Solgen to reconsider quo warranto petition vs ABS-CBN For fantasy sports players, James Harden is the NBA MVP Deandre Ayton shines as Suns pound Knicks FILE – In this Jan. 5, 2019, file photo, Duke’s Zion Williamson (1) dunks during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Clemson, in Durham, N.C. The Blue Devils freshman is widely expected to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft on Thursday, June 20. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome, File)NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Now that six-time All-Star Anthony Davis’ trade request has been honored, it’s time for the New Orleans Pelicans to start a new era by drafting the next face of the franchise.Duke star Zion Williamson is widely seen as the top pro prospect to enter any NBA draft since Davis in 2012, and the Pelicans — thanks to an unlikely NBA draft lottery victory last month — have the right to select him first overall on Thursday night.ADVERTISEMENT He averaged 22.6 points per game at Duke and also was voted to the ACC’s All-Defensive Team after averaging 8.9 rebounds, 2.12 steals and 1.8 blocked shots per game. He leaves Duke as the holder of several freshman records, including single-game scoring after his 35-point outburst against Syracuse in January.And this draft could have enormous, long-term implications for New Orleans even beyond the addition of Williamson because of the bounty of first-round draft choices the Pelicans are to receive from the Los Angeles Lakers as part of the Davis deal.The trade — which also sent a total of three first-round picks to the Pelicans — won’t become official until after the new NBA league year begins July 6. But when the Lakers pick fourth overall, they will effectively select for the Pelicans and eventually will send that player to New Orleans — unless that pick is moved in a subsequent trade on behalf of the Pelicans by draft night. And while deciding whether to select Williamson isn’t bound to cause any mental anguish or second guesses, deciding who to pick fourth overall could be a much tougher call.Gentry noted that while most drafts have just a few elite prospects, there often are future stars mined from mid- to late-first-round picks — never mind a second top-five choice like New Orleans has acquired.“There is the high end, front end of the draft, but there’s going to be a guy that’s drafted 14 to 25 that’s going to be a game changer also,” Gentry said. “It’s happened almost every year and that’s where Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant and Giannis (Antetokounmpo) and those guys were all drafted — in that area right there. So, somewhere along the line, there’s going to be some surprise guys that’ll step up that’s going to become really good basketball players.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia PLAY LIST 00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption 11 nabbed for shabu, drug den busted in Maguindanao A handful of prospects stand out as possible fourth overall picks, and the position they play could be a factor.The Davis trade brought New Orleans highly regarded small forward Brandon Ingram, point guard Lonzo Ball and shooting guard Josh Hart. Ball and Ingram would be presumed starters alongside veteran guard Jrue Holiday and Williamson at power forward. The only true center on the roster is Jahlil Okafor. Forward Julius Randle also can play center, but is essentially a free agent with a player option to return for next season. Christian Wood, a 6-10 forward who thrived in his short, late-season stint with the Pelicans, also could play center.Texas’ Jaxson Hayes (6-11, 220) is widely seen as the top center in the draft, but not necessarily a top-five talent, so free agency might be the more practical route for the Pelicans to pursue an upgrade there.Three players widely projected among picks Nos. 4-6 are Vanderbilt point guard Darius Garland (6-2, 175), Texas Tech shooting guard Jarrett Culver (6-7, 194), and Virginia wing player De’Andre Hunter (6-7, 225).While none of them would be expected to start immediately, each could emerge as an increasingly prominent player in the rotation as the season wears on. And the ability to bring a reliable scorer, playmaker or defender off the bench could make all the difference if the Pelicans find themselves making a playoff push next March.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Taal evacuees make the most of ‘unusual’ clothing donations, leaves online users laughing Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Olympic rings arrive in host city on barge into Tokyo Bay Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted View comments
The 44-year-old sees the challenge in the capital as an exciting opportunity in his career. Neil Lennon has outlined his vision for Hibernian after signing a two-year contract with the Scottish Championship side.Promotion is the number one aim for the capital club after missing out on a place in the top flight in the past two seasons.The Scottish Cup holders start their season early as they enter the Europa League group stages and Lennon addressed some of the key issues he faces in Leith.The Northern Irishman, who will be assisted by Garry Parker, has already started identifying players for his new era at Easter Road. Lennon expressed his desire to keep the bulk of the current squad together and add quality in key areas ahead of the start of the season.Lennon says he will hold talks with the striker’s representatives, insisting Hibernian have no need to sell last season’s top scorer.The 20-year-old has attracted attention from several English Championship clubs including Wolves.Former Celtic coach Lennon brushed off any suggestion that taking charge of a club in Scotland’s second tier was a step down, recalling Brian Clough departed Leeds United, then champions of England, to go to Nottingham Forest and leading them to glory.
A woman was killed when a police chase ended in a crash after a Walmart shoplifting report, police said. Officers in the Warren County city of Franklin, Ohio, were called to Walmart for a report of a shoplifter, Franklin Police Chief Russ Whitman wrote in a news release.As they were dispatched, police received another report that a male was walking westbound toward an apartment building and that a female had left in a white pickup truck and was heading westbound on Second Street. Shortly after, a Franklin police officer spotted a vehicle matching the description of the white pickup truck southbound on Anderson Street. He activated the overhead lights on his cruiser to signal the driver to pull over, but the pickup truck sped off.“As the officer was calling in the information to dispatch, the white pickup truck apparently went left of center and off the left side of the roadway, striking a tree in the 6900 block of Shaker Rd at a high rate of speed,” police wrote on Facebook. The driver of the Chevrolet pickup, Misty Sorrell, 40, of Springboro, was ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.- Sponsor – The state patrol’s preliminary investigation indicates that speed and failure to wear a seatbelt were contributing factors in the crash. The city of Franklin Police Department is handling the theft from Walmart and attempted traffic stop. “The investigation is continuing and more details will be released tomorrow,” the chief wrote. [Source: Fox19 Now] Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
Lyft said it made several attempts to use the dispute-resolution process in its contract prior to filing the lawsuit, but that SFMTA hadn’t participated. It added that it’d made a onetime exception to its exclusivity contract to allow Jump to provide e-bikes while it was still developing its e-bike model.Lyft recently signed an agreement with SFMTA to provide another 4,000 hybrid electric bikes that’ll be deployed in the next few weeks, on top of the 4,500 bikes it already provides. A report by the San Francisco Examiner added the SFMTA argues that Lyft’s exclusivity contract only covers bike share services using sidewalk docks, but that Jump is “dockless.” Lyft’s complaint argues that a bike share program can be made up of bikes that are locked in docks, bikes that are dockless, or both. “As we will explain to the court, the agreement between Motivate and the city was about a docked bike share system,” John Coté, communications director of the Office of City Attorney Dennis Herrera, told CNET in an emailed statement. “It does not give Lyft the right to a monopoly on bike sharing in San Francisco. Lyft can seek a permit for dockless bikes on equal footing with everyone else.” Originally published June 7. Update, June 10, 10:10 a.m. PT: Adds comment from Office of City Attorney. Post a comment Now playing: Watch this: Share your voice Uber versus Lyft: Best tips to save you money when you hail a ride Electric scooters are sending scores of people to the… Read also 0 3:07 Mobile Culture Mobile Apps Ford GoBikes have an exclusivity agreement in San Francisco, Lyft argues. Sean Hollister/CNET Lyft has filed a lawsuit to block San Francisco from granting bike share permits to other companies. Lyft entered the San Francisco Bay Area bike share market last year by acquiring Motivate, the company behind Ford GoBike. Uber is in the market thanks to its Jump acquisition in April 2018. The suit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court on Friday, is asking for a temporary restraining order against the city and county of San Francisco. Lyft is “eager to continue investing in the regional bike-share system,” but San Francisco must “honor its contractual commitments to this regional program — not change the rules in the middle of the game,” a company spokesperson said in an emailed statement. Under its 10-year contract with the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), Lyft says it has exclusivity in providing bike sharing services. The complaint asks for the court to “prohibit” San Francisco from “issuing bike share permits, entering into contracts or agreements, or taking any other measures that would disregard, dilute or otherwise prejudice Motivate’s exclusive right to operate a bike share program in the public rights-of-way in San Francisco as to all types of bicycles, including, but not limited to, traditional pedal bikes, e-assist, electric assisted or electric bikes (“e-bikes”), stationed or docked bikes, and/or stationless or dockless bikes. “Motivate seeks both injunctive relief and declaratory relief to protect its negotiated right to exclusivity for a bike-share program.” Tags Legal Lyft Uber
Prothom Alo IllustrationAn accused in a case filed for violating an eight-year-old girl was killed in a reported gunfight with members of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) at Kholadanga Mandalgati in Sadar upazila of Jashore early Monday, reports news agency UNB.The deceased is Alamin alias Babu, 25, son of late Abu Kalam of Kholadanga village in the upazila.Tipped off that a gang of criminals was staying at Kholadanga Mandalgati, a team of RAB-6, led by commander of its Jashore camp Major Md Ziaur Rahman and assistant superintendent of police Sohel Parvez, conducted a drive there around 2:45am, said RAB sources.Sensing the presence of the elite force, the criminals opened fire on them prompting them to retaliate that triggered a gunfight.After the gun battle that lasted for about 20 minutes, RAB members found bullet-hit Alamin lying on the ground.He was taken to Jashore sadar hospital where doctors declared him dead.Two RAB members were also injured in the gunfight, RAB said, adding that a shooter gun, one bullet and a knife were recovered from the spot.Alamin was an accused in a case filed with Sadar police station on 31 March for violating the minor girl at Chachra Dakkhinpara in the upazila.The law enforcement’s version of the event was, however, not verified independently as no version of the incident was available immediately either from any witnesses or from any members of the victim’s family.
Kolkata: A student from Sonarpur in South 24-Parganas was allegedly duped by some persons who promised him loan at a minimal interest rate.The victim had approached the alleged cheaters after they posted an advertisement on a social media channel regarding the same. According to sources, Arpan Debnath, a resident of Malirbagan at Sonarpur is a post-grad student. Recently, he had seen an advertisement on a social media channel reading that an organisation offers loan at a very low rate of interest. Also Read – 3 injured, flight, train services hit as rains lash BengalThe advertisement read — any unemployed person will be granted loan and no Income Tax return needs to be filed. To avail loan, Debnath contacted the organisation through the social media channel where the advertisement was posted. After a while, a person claiming to be Alok Das assured him through a message that he would get the mentioned loan amount soon. On January 2, a person claiming to be Subhajit Das went to Debnath and collected necessary documents such as photocopy of his Voter ID card, Aadhar Card, Pan Card and a blank cheque. On the very next day, i.e January 3, Debnath’s specimen signature was Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedalso collected. On January 4, Debnath was asked to visit a person in Hazra from where he was taken to a bank for necessary documentation. A few hours after his visit, Debnath received a text message saying Rs 36,000 had been withdrawn from his account. Later, when he tried to get in touch with the organisation through the social media channel, he failed to get response. On January 7, he lodged a complaint at Sonarpur police station. Later, the Cyber Crime section of West Bengal Police at Bhavani Bhavan was also informed. According to sources, police have identified the account where the money was transferred. The sleuths are checking with the account holder and his connection.
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday held a high-level meeting with the senior officials of various departments at Nabanna to issue directives to prevent dengue ahead of monsoon.It was earlier found that Metro railways construction sites across the city often became the breeding ground of mosquitoes. During her meeting, Banerjee asked the Chief Secretary Malay Dey to take up the issue with Metro Railway authorities for preventive steps. It was not possible for the Kolkata Municipal (KMC) workers to undertake conservancy drive in Metro construction sites. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseCM instructed officials of various civic bodies to take adequate precautionary measures ahead of monsoon. She instructed the civic bodies and fisheries department officials to release Gappi in water bodies so that the fish can kill the mosquito larva. Various civic bodies and fisheries department have been releasing the fish to check the breeding of mosquitoes. Banerjee directed senior officials of various civic bodies including the KMC to repair the potholes ahead of monsoon so that water is not accumulated there. She instructed the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation officials to take adequate preventive measures as some dengue cases were reported from its jurisdiction areas last year. She asked the officials of the Public Works Department (PWD), Public Health Engineering (PHE), Irrigation and waterways department and other departments to pull up their socks to ensure that not a single case of dengue is reported in the next season. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataBanerjee also stressed on the publications of advertisements so that people become aware about the preventive measures. While leaving Nabanna, the Chief Minister told the reports that state Education department has also been asked to spread awareness among the school students. State health department has been instructed to conduct anti-dengue drive at regular intervals. Municipalities and panchayats have been asked to take necessary steps by reaching to the grass roots level. They had been doing it and now they have been asked to do it more seriously. The state Education department and Women and Child Welfare department have also been asked to conduct rigorous campaign so that the students are aware about the precautionary measures. CM said that ASHA and ICDS workers who have been doing door-to-door campaigns to create awareness among people will be asked to be more proactive. The ASHA workers will reach out to rural areas and will ensure that accumulation of water does not take place.
Kolkata: Kolkata Police have issued a circular stating that from now on, burning of waste will be treated as a crime as per the law and offenders may get arrested. The circular has come into effect from Wednesday. According to sources, keeping the massive change in the climate in mind, the state Environment department and Pollution Control Board (PCB) had urged the police department to take action against the offenders who would be found burning waste materials. After being notified by the Environment department, senior officials of Kolkata Police discussed the matter and decided to publish the circular. According to the circular, from July 3 burning of any waste such as garbage, plastic, wood, bio-waste, electronic equipments, domestic wastes, husk, household waste, recyclable and non recyclable wastes, will be against the law. If any person is found burning the same, he/she may get arrested and face a trial eventually.