‘Barkley has more talent than Alli or Lingard’

first_imgRoss Barkley has the potential to become a vital part of Gareth Southgate’s England team, according to Jamie Carragher.The Chelsea midfielder scored for a third consecutive appearance at the weekend, grabbing the second in a 4-0 rout of Burnley on Sunday , and Carragher believes that the former Evertonian can bring that form to the international stage.Comparing Barkley this season to his time at Goodison Park, the ex-Liverpool man spoke highly of his improvement. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! And he believes that in terms of raw talent he is superior to Dele Alli and Jesse Lingard, who were the key midfielders in Southgate’s side during their run to the World Cup semi-finals.“The stats show a difference. The big one is dribbles. We all love to see players dribble but football is a passing game and maybe two or three times a game you have the chance to go on a dribble,” he said on  Sky Sports . “It can’t be five times a game, and I think that was where he was losing the ball at Everton. Now he is making better decisions.”Also look at the distance covered, I think he’s fitter, stronger and maybe that is something to do with what we are seeing now at Chelsea.”He was really good for Everton but towards the end of his time there his decision-making wasn’t great. He dribbled when he should have passed, he passed when he should have dribbled, and the crowd got on his back and he found it difficult at times. Maybe it was the pressure of being the main man at Everton to create something.”He added: “This lad has got to become mentally stronger, but in terms of ability, you think of the players who played in that position in the World Cup – Dele Alli and Jesse Lingard – and maybe you could argue they are better mentally but they are not better ability wise.”If he becomes better mentally – as you would expect playing for a big team and achieving big things – I think he could become a must for the England team.”Barkley was left out of the England squad that travelled to Russia for the World Cup in the summer having made just four domestic appearances last campaign, but did feature against both Croatia and Spain in the Three Lions’ recent UEFA Nations’ League outings.last_img read more

Continue reading

Iran rules out direct US talks

first_imgTehran: President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday ruled out holding any bilateral talks with the United States and threatened to further cut Iran’s commitments to a nuclear deal within days. In an address to parliament, Rouhani said any dialogue with the US would have to fall within the framework of the group of major powers that agreed a landmark nuclear deal with Tehran in 2015. Rouhani also said Iran was ready to further reduce its commitments to the accord “in the coming days” if current negotiations with European nations yield no results by Thursday. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USTehran and Washington have been at loggerheads since May last year when US President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from the nuclear deal and began reimposing crippling sanctions. The arch-foes were on the cusp of confrontation in June when Iran downed a US drone and Trump ordered retaliatory strikes before cancelling them at the last minute. France has been leading efforts to calm the situation, with President Emmanuel Macron expressing hope during G7 talks in late August of organising a meeting between Rouhani and Trump. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”Maybe there has been a misunderstanding. We’ve said it several times and we repeat it — there has been no decision to hold bilateral talks with the US,” said Rouhani. “In principle, we don’t want bilateral talks with the United States,” he was quoted as saying on the official government website. “If the United States lifts all sanctions, it would be possible to talk (to them) during 5+1 meetings as in the past,” he said, referring to the powers involved in negotiating the 2015 deal. “We have received several proposals (to have talks with the United States) and our answer has always been negative.” Iran has hit back with countermeasures in response to the US withdrawal from the deal, which gave it the promise of relief from sanctions in return for curbs on its nuclear programme. It has already increased its uranium enrichment and stockpiles, and Rouhani said Tuesday a “third step will be enacted in the coming days” unless the remaining parties to the deal honour their own commitments. “If by Thursday these negotiations yield no results, we will announce the third step of the reduction of our commitments,” he said. But the president stressed the Iranian countermeasures were reversible. “Our steps have been taken in such a way that it doesn’t take much time to get back to the starting point,” he said. Rouhani voiced regret over the failure of European nations to fulfil pledges they made during negotiations. “Unfortunately after the US betrayal… the Europeans haven’t acted on their commitments or couldn’t… in some cases they cold have acted but did not,” he said. “What we are asking of the other countries is that they continue to buy our oil. “We can continue negotiations even after the third step,” he added. Rouhani has had a series of phone calls with Macron in recent weeks aimed at salvaging the nuclear deal. The French president has been trying to convince the United States to offer Iran some sort of relief from sanctions it has imposed on the Islamic republic since pulling out of the deal. A conservative Iranian lawmaker said Macron had proposed offering Iran a 15-billion credit line on condition it returns to the fold. Meanwhile, an Iranian oil tanker pursued by the US turned off its tracking beacon, leading to renewed speculation on Tuesday that it will head to Syria.last_img read more

Continue reading

Farming in TCI gets two new experts

first_img ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Recommended for you Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meeting Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, February 23, 2017 – The Turks and Caicos finally has a farm manager, and it heralds the transformation of the Government farm in North Caicos into a research and demonstration farm.  The announcement of two new and experienced staff came from the Department of Agriculture earlier this month and Director Wilhelmina Kissoonsingh counts it a critical step for the islands.“The Turks and Caicos Islands imports almost all its food, which puts the country at a food security risk.   However the potential is there to develop the agriculture sector with new and innovative techniques to produce food in a sustainable way.”The Director explained that the Extension Officer is to work with farmers, schools and interested persons to advise on farming practices, assist in diagnosing problems like pests and diseases and education on new technologies in agriculture.The Farm Manager will support the schools with the reformatted farm; hands on training in agriculture was cited as among the experiences for students. Mario Smith is the new extension officer, while Eulitt Pinnock is the Farm Manager.#MagneticMediaNews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#magneticmedianews The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provolast_img read more

Continue reading

CBI raids home offices of lawyers Indira Jaising Anand Grover in foreign

first_imgThe raids were conducted in the wee hours of Thursday, July 11, at the Nizamuddin home of Indira Jaising in the national capital, the office of the NGO and another office in Mumbai.Grover was, however, booked by the CBI for violating rules in receiving foreign aid. When contacted, the husband of former Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Indira Jaising asked not to be disturbed as he was in the “midst” of it (searches), reported a news agency.The probe agency alleged that Indira Jaising received a remuneration of Rs. 96.60 lakh from Lawyers Collective. The Home Ministry complaint alleged that the group had received over Rs 32 crore between 2006 and 2014. According to NDTV’s report, the CBI’s First Information Report that has been filed on the basis of a Home Ministry complaint does not name Indira Jaising as an accused but the ministry reportedly referred to her alleged role.Condemning the raids, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted: “I strongly condemn CBI raids on well-known senior advocates @IJaising and Mr Anand Grover. Let the law take its own course but subjecting veterans who have all through their lives fought for upholding the rule of law and constitutional values is clear vendetta.” he tweeted. Supreme Court senior lawyer Indira Jaising.TwitterThe Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is conducting raids at residences and offices of Supreme Court lawyer Indira Jaising and her husband Anand Grover on charges of an alleged violation of foreign funding rules for their NGO Lawyers Collective.The searches are reportedly taking place at the Delhi and Mumbai offices of the NGO. However, any details of the location where searches are going on have not yet been disclosed.The probe agency has accused the couple of violating Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act by misusing foreign contributions and spending the funds outside the country. Earlier, a case was also filed by the CBI against the two.last_img read more

Continue reading

Provide basic requirements security to Rohingya children

first_imgParticipants at the roundtable jointly organised by Prothom Alo and UNICEF at the Prothom Alo office in the capital on Sunday. Photo: Prothom AloDiscussants at a roundtable stressed that the Rohingya children should be provided with basic education, food and other necessities as well as proper security as long as they are in Bangladesh.The roundtable was jointly organised by ProthomAlo and UNICEF at the Prothom Alo office in the capital on Sunday. Prothom Alo associate editor Abdul Qayyum moderated the roundtable.Chief guest at the roundtable, Bangladesh Human Rights Commission chairman Kazi Reazul Hoque, said almost 400,000 Rohingya children took shelter in Cox’s Bazar since the latest crisis began with violent attacks in Rakhine on 25 August.Speaking about providing legal assistance to the Rohingyas in Bangladesh, assistant external relations officer of UNHCR Souvik Das said Bangladesh lacks any kind of refugee law. However, identifying the newborn Rohingyas in Bangladesh and providing them with birth certificates can help them, he added.He also mentioned that the majority of the Rohingya female refugees were pregnant or were child brides.He also said most of the children in the camps were traumatised following the atrocities they witnessed in Myanmar and proper security for them has to be ensured in the camps.Speaking about the latest condition of the Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, executive director of Coast Trust, Rezaul Karim Chowdhury, said Bangladesh should have two types of plans for managing the current refugee crisis.He said, plan A should be providing basic education for the Rohingya children and also ensuring long term education programmes in the refugee camps, so that the refugee children can get a stable future.He said plan B should be to continue pressure on Myanmar to take back the Rohingyas.Special guest additional secretary of social welfare ministry Khairul Anam said the Rohingya influx into Bangladesh has continued for the last 40 years. He also appreciated the fact that different local as well as international organisations were working along with the government to cope with the crisis.Khairul Anam said currently there are a total of 10 Rohingya refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar and Teknaf where a total of 12,000 children have been registered till now.Among others, programme coordinator of BRAC M Nazrul Islam, child protection expert of UNICEF Monira Hasan, head of child rights and protection, Plan International, Tania Nusrat Zaman, national program officer (adolescent and youth gender) of UNFPA Humaira Farhana, deputy director of community development center Tsadduk Hossain, and deputy country director of Handicap International Sharmin Khan, also addressed the roundtable.last_img read more

Continue reading

Washington TV Newswomen Stage Breast Cancer Fund Raiser

first_imgLesli Foster of WUSA9 News, along with FOX 5 News’ Shawn Yancy and ABC7/WJLA-TV’s Rebecca Cooper, headlined breast cancer fundraiser at the Powerhouse.Many familiar faces seen daily and nightly on local Washington D.C. news television stations were dressed in all hues of pink at the D.C. Newsbabes Bash fundraiser for breast cancer.  More than a dozen female news anchors, and special guest Dr. Jill Biden hosted a swanky fundraiser to benefit Survivors Offering Support (SOS) June 11 at the Powerhouse in the Georgetown area of Washington, D.C.The classy two-hour event united major area anchorwomen in a sea of pink solidarity across the D.C. metropolitan area all in one room, as they raised funds for breast cancer survivors.  The on-air news hosts included Lesli Foster and Andrea Roane of Gannett’s WUSA 9 and Allison Seymour , and Shawn Yancy of FOX 5 News of FOX 5 News.Dozens of pink spotlights shined along the walls of the three-level venue as specialty cocktails were served, hors d’oeuvres were passed, and sweet treats including cupcakes by Georgetown Cupcake and gelato by Dolci Gelati.  In 2009, a group of friends working in the television news industry provided the idea to create an event to benefit a widely known cause that has now continued for six years.  This year’s sponsors included Spilled Milk Catering, Bethesda Row, Powerhouse, and Glassman Wealth Services.“This is a group of dedicated and competitive women, uniquely working together for an amazing cause. Now, that’s newsworthy,” said President Barry Glassman a sponsor who donated a whopping $10,000 to the Newsbabes Bash organization on behalf of Glassman Wealth Services.Although Washington pro football  star Robert Griffin III was not in attendance, he donated a pair of flashy pink football cleats he wore in October for breast cancer awareness month.  The autographed cleats were auctioned at the event with bids beginning at $500.In addition to anchorwomen, more familiar faces including 45-year NBC 4 news anchor Jim Vance, WPGC 95.5’s Tati of the Pablo Morning Show, and Oprah Winfrey Network’s OWN TV star Bershan Shaw supported the breast cancer awareness bash. Shaw, a two-time breast cancer survivor kept her first diagnosis private.  Upon finding cancer in her body a second time, the OWN TV reality star now shares her personal struggle with the disease.According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among African-American women with an estimated 27,060 new cases expected to surface from 2013. African-Americans have the highest death rate and shortest survival span for most cancers compared to other racial and ethnic groups in the United States.last_img read more

Continue reading