160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SANTA CLARITA – Councilman Frank Ferry, the assistant school principal who once donned fairy wings and “flew” across the Saugus High gym, was named principal Friday of Alemany High School. A 1983 graduate of the Catholic school in Mission Hills, Ferry said he will take the job July 1, the day after his contract expires with the William S. Hart Union High School District. “I had such a great experience there,” he said. “I’m returning home to a great place as principal. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m excited.” Alemany is operated by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and boasts an enrollment of about 1,500. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventFerry will replace John Monnig, who is retiring. Currently an assistant principal at Saugus High, Ferry was the man behind Valencia High’s school spirit when he served the fledgling campus as associated student body director. He orchestrated circus-like homecomings and at Saugus tossed “Ferry” dust on the crowd during a rally. Ferry also was re-elected earlier this year to his third four-year term on the Santa Clarita City Council. A father of two, Ferry holds a master’s degree in education and a law degree. As an Alemany student Ferry was junior class president, ASB president, a member of the band and goalie for the school’s CIF championship soccer team.
An outside view of the majestic One&Only Cape Town hotel overlooking the V&A waterfront. A luxury suite with a classical yet modern,contemporary feel. Each room at the hotel boasts a colourful ensemble of interesting décor. The giant sized pool can accommodate the needs of both social and avid swimmers. (Images: One&Only Resorts)Khanyi MagubaneHotel mogul Sol Kerzner is set to open the South African chapter of his One&Only international luxury hotel chain on 3 April.The hotel, the One&Only Cape Town at the V&A Waterfront, which cost about R1-billion (US$100-million) to build, will be officially opened at a glittering affair with about 400 hand-picked guests and celebrities in attendance.The hotel will be one of South Africa’s most expensive, with rates ranging between R6 000 ($600) and R50 000 ($5 000) a night.The hotel chain prides itself on offering pure opulence to guests, all of which naturally come at a price.For the grand opening of the One&Only Cape Town, Kerzner has left nothing to chance. Hotel staff uniforms have been designed by top South African fashion designer Jenni Button and are made of pure silk, to ensure that the standard of the hotel is maintained on all levels.A little piece of heavenThe hotel, designed by distinguished architectural firm, Dennis Fabian & Berman and Ruben Reddy, is a seven-storey construction of luxury. It will offer an exclusive wine selection that promises to satisfy even the most discerning wine lovers. The 6 000-bottle wine cellar is affectionately called The Wine Loft and boasts glass walls and designer trimmings.For avid swimmers, the hotel has a 350m² infinity-edge swimming pool.Other features include luxury suites – some of which have their own en-suite spa treatment rooms.All of the suites overlook either the V&A Waterfront marina or panoramic views across to Table Mountain, and are said to be generous in size – ranging from 63m² for a basic suite to 383m² for the presidential suite.Kerzner travelled to South Africa last week to supervise the finishing touches to his hotel, which is expected to attract a flurry of the rich and famous.A night to rememberIn traditional Kerzner-style, the opening ceremony for the One&Only Cape Town will be graced by some of the world’s most famous celebrities and influential business moguls.The star-studded event will be Kerzner’s first in 17 years in South Africa after he opened his grand R300-million ($30-million) Palace of the Lost City – an add on to the Sun City casino and resort in 1992.Speaking to journalists on his arrival, the tycoon said he was not all nervous about opening night, “There’s no pressure. Sure, this is by far one of the biggest events I’ve done in South Africa, but it doesn’t help to get nervous.”The guest list for the event, described as a cocktail party, will include US actors Sharon Stone and Robert De Niro. UK-based actress Thandie Newton and supermodel Naomi Campbell will also be in attendance.Each guest will be provided with a personal butler who will be at their back and call.This event will also be a much smaller one than the November 2008 extravaganza at the opening of Kerzner’s Atlantis hotel in Dubai.The one night celebration, co-ordinated by party planner to the stars Colin Cowie, will be a “relatively low-key” event.Guests at this year’s party will be treated to a feast created by 79 local and international chefs, who will be creating the scrumptious dishes from the hotel’s modern-state-of the-art kitchen. A passion for the hotel industrySol Kerzner’s rise to the top of the hotel industry was not just one of luck, but of calculated risk and right timing.Often described as the “Sun King” or the Donald Trump of South Africa, Kerzner is secretive about how much his worth, and at one stage even claimed that he didn’t know the grand total of his fortune.Kerzner was born in Johannesburg on August 23 1935, the youngest and only son of four children to Russian parents who had immigrated to South Africa six years earlier.Although he grew up poor in the downtown suburb of Doornfontein in Johannesburg, Kerzner had a happy childhood, and love for classical music.After he graduated as a chartered accountant from the University of Witwatersrand, Kerzner quickly rose up the ranks of one of the largest accounting firms in Durban, and at the age of 26, he became partner.But his spirit was elsewhere. He found number crunching boring and it was then that he decided to turn his attention to the hotel trade. He leased a hotel, which he managed at night and on weekends, while still continuing with his day-job. His hard work paid off when it became a flourishing establishment.In 1963, with borrowed venture capital and no previous track record in the industry, he set out to build South Africa’s first five-star hotel, despite never having seen one or ever having travelled out of the country.Speaking of those trying times Kerzner says he remembers what it feels like to convince people to have confidence in him, “I had no capital of my own, no track record and many people were sceptical about what I was doing. I remember sitting around the reception rooms of finance houses, trying to convince them what I wanted to do was financially viable.”After a fact-finding mission in America, he started building the Beverly Hills Hotel.The hotel was a runaway success and he went on to build the 450-room Elangeni Hotel on Durban’s southern beachfront.His newfound success prompted him in 1969, to establish the Southern Sun hotel chain in partnership with South African Breweries.By 1983, the chain was operating 31 luxury hotels with more than 5 000 rooms.In 1979, he built Sun City in the North-West province, after striking what has been described as an allegedly controversial deal with Bophuthatswana homeland leader, Lucas Mangope, for exclusive gambling rights.After his success on home soil, Kerzner ventured overseas where he has built his One&Only hotel resorts in several countries including Mexico, The Bahamas, Mauritius, Maldives and Dubai.Speaking to UK newspaper, The Telegraph, Kerzner said he really loves his work, “I have always said that the thing that drives me is not the money – although there are obviously advantages to living like this – but it’s the excitement of the business, the thrill of creating.”And a rich lifestyle he does have.His properties include a private estate in Hout Bay, a R10.5-million ($1.5-million) four-bedroom penthouse he bought for his daughter, Beverly, in New York, a portfolio of residences in London’s posh Chelsea suburb and a villa set on 2.8ha of Mediterranean cliff side in Monaco, as well as a home in the south of France.Do you have any comments or queries about this article? Email Khanyi Magubane at: email@example.comRelated articlesHolidays that save the world Life’s a beach in South Africa Tourism in South Africa SA tops for business travel Cape Town “best city in the world” Useful linksOne&Only resortsKerzner internationalSun City Southern Sun hotels
The Hugin autonomous underwater vehicles used to search for MH370. Photo: Ocean Infinity. The sophisticated ship tasked with finding missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 expects to “hit the ground running” as it steams towards the search area after conducting a series of sea trials off the coast of Africa.The trials included testing the ability of Seabed Constructor’s Hugin autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) to detect targets and debris as well as a dive to more than 5800m (19,029ft) to check new additions to its flotilla of eight torpedo-shaped submersibles.Deep sea search company Ocean Infinity also ran a test with all eight AUVs operating simultaneously from the ship, the Seabed Constructor.“Essentially we needed to put everything through the paces before we got to the MH370 site,’’ a report from the ship sent Thursday and posted by MH370 independent group member Victor Iannello said. “We’ve found and corrected a few issues, which makes this well worth the time spent.“This testing is due to be wrapped up late tonight or early tomorrow morning, we will then steam to the ATSB box and hit the ground running.”The ship is due to arrive at the search area late next week and, under a deal struck with the Malaysian Government, US-based Ocean Infinity will not receive any compensation unless it finds the wreckage of the plane within 90 days.The bridge of the Seabed Constructor. Photo: Ocean Infinity video.It will begin in a 25,000 sq, km area defined in 2016 by a meeting of experts in Australia and later refined by drift analysis from the CSIRO.The experts recommended that the first search continue but a tripartite meeting of government ministers from Malaysia, China, and Australia shut it down in January last year.They vowed not to resume search unless there was credible new information which could be used to identify the aircraft’s position, although they failed to define what this meant.The Malaysian Government has since had change of heart with Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai telling reporters this week there was an 85 percent probability of finding the wreckage in the search zone.Drift modeling and an analysis of satellite imagery by a team headed by CSIRO scientist Dr David Griffin significantly boosted confidence among Australian experts that the wreckage of the Boeing 777, which went missing in March 2014, is in the southern half of a 25,000 sq. km.The scientists identified a location at latitude 35.6°S and longitude 92.8°E, near the seventh arc defined by satellite data, as the most likely location for the missing plane and the search is expected to start in this area. This is just outside an area already searched.They said other nearby locations east off the 7th arc were also possible and there were a range of less likely locations on the western side of the arc, near 34.7°S 92.6°E and 35.3°S 91.8°E.The deal is structured so the company receives $US20 million if it finds the plane in a 5000 sq. km primary search area, $US30m if it finds it in a subsequent 10,000 sq. km secondary search area and $US50m if it finds it another 10,000 sq km tertiary search area.The company says it is capable of scanning 1200 sq. kms per day using the eight Hugin AUVs equipped with an array of sophisticated sensors that include side scan and synthetic aperture sonar, a multi-beam echo sounder, a sub-bottom profiler and an HD camera.A similar submersible was used in the previous search but in this case up to eight will be launched and search in parallel.The Hugins, described as highly maneuverable and stable, will be launched directly from the mothership which will use an acoustic modem to communicate with them as they search for the debris field.Each submersible is powered by lithium polymer batteries that allows them to remain on station for up to 60 hours.Apart from occasional pings to update the Hugin’s inertial navigation systems and keep them on course, the AUVs will keep their findings stored on an onboard hard-drive to be downloaded on their return.The use of the multiple submersibles means Ocean Infinity could feasibly, subject to the areas sometimes fierce weather and the need to resupply, complete a search of the ATSB’s 25,000 sq. kms in the first month. This gives it the to option to move into other areas if the plane is not found.Some experts have suggested the debris may be north of the 25,000 sq. km zone, possibly to an area around 30°S, and if a wider search proves necessary the Malaysians have agreed to pay Ocean Infinity $US70m if the plane is found.The Seabed Constructor is capable of recovering debris from the ocean floor but a decision on whether it proceeds to do so is up to the Malaysians.The Seabed Constructor. Photo: Ocean Infinity.Top priority will be given to recovering the so-called “black boxes” – the cockpit voice recorder, the flight data recorder and the quick access recorder.Using the Seabed Constructor to do this would be a logical move and having the ship already on station makes it what experts describe as an “asset of opportunity” if the black boxes are to be retrieved before the winter weather sets in.Although they have been at the bottom of the sea for almost four years under immense pressure, the recorders are built to withstand extremes and experts believe it will be possible to extract data from them and probably other memory chips in the the Boeing 777s avionics.Flight data recorders are usually double-wrapped in titanium or stainless steel and tested to withstand up to 1500 times the force of gravity and to be able to withstand water pressure at 20,000ft (6096m) for 30 days.There are also precedents for this sort of situation.The recorders from Air France flight 447, An Airbus A330 which plunged into the Atlantic Ocean in 2009, were readable despite being at a depth of 3980m (13,000 feet) for almost two years.Pressure is the biggest problem: at a depth of 5000m (16,404ft) it is 500 times the pressure at sea level or 7114 lbs per square inch. The lack of currents, low levels of oxygen and cold temperatures at such great depths are expected to help preserve other parts of the plane as well as the bodies of the 239 passengers and crew.The move by Ocean Infinity to take on the MH370 search is not so much a roll of the dice as an informed bet, although one with high stakes. One “rough estimate’ puts the daily operating costs of the ship, personnel, and the sophisticated Hugin robots at about $US150,000 a day.As the video below shows, it is an impressive operation.The move comes after the company was extensively briefed on the data gleaned during the ATSB’s initial two-year search as well as the projections of others such as University of Western Australia Professor of coastal oceanography Charitha Pattiaratchi and the Independent group of experts.The initial 120,000 sq. km search failed to find the plane but this was in an area defined before the arrival of debris allowed more informed drift modeling.While there is some variance in where the parties think the debris field lies, they all point to the same general area.Dr Griffin says nothing has come to light since last year to affect the CSIRO findings on the most likely site for the MH370 wreckage.“From everything that we’ve done, that is the most likely place,’’ he told AirlineRatings, noting it was not possible to say where the plane was with absolute certainty.“It’s impossible to know what could possibly be wrong with any of the clues that we used.“They’ve all got assumptions which could turn out to be false, but we know it’s the best shot at it and that’s it’s worth doing.”Among those most desperate for answers —and an end to the speculation and wild theories regarding the plane’s disappearance — are the families of the MH370 victims.Support group MH370 has applauded the Malaysian Government for concluding the agreement and Ocean Infinity for its “bold offer” to search on a “no cure, no fee” basis.“It is our fervent hope that the search yields results, MH370 said in a statement. “While it may not bring our loved ones back into our midst, we wish for the answers that will let matters rest, and to make civil aviation safer.’’The group called on the Malaysian Government to provide regular updates and to consult with families on a recovery effort if the aircraft is found.“In the event the search by Ocean Infinity is unfruitful, we ask of the Malaysia to be open to a similar “no cure, no fee” search proposals from other parties or initiate a prepaid search if new evidence is found,’’ they added.The sad fact is, however, that if this search is unsuccessful the trail will have grown well and truly cold.
This week’s International Association of Interviewers interview and interrogation training tip provided by Wicklander-Zulawski, has Chris Norris, CFI, director of WZ Europe and international training, talking about the room setting from the perspective of a witness.Chris says he often gets asked questions like, “What about my note taker? What about the witness? What about the person who sits in the room with us?”What we want to do is maintain privacy with the subject. Even though there’s going to be a third person in the room, we need to create a one-on-one conversation with the subject.- Sponsor – The witness sits off to the side, out of view of the subject, and—importantly—not blocking the subject’s ability to leave the room.Think about the blind spot when you’re driving. That 45-degree angle, over the shoulder, where you can’t really see someone, is the ideal position to put the witness in that room.As you set up, and you’re sitting about four feet from your subject, with no barrier between the two of you, and you have the witness over the shoulder of the subject, then you’ve created a private environment where there’s a one-on-one conversation with a third person observing. We’re still protecting our interests of litigation and further concern from our subject. The International Association of Interviewers (IAI) and Wicklander-Zulawski (WZ) provide interview and interrogation training programs and additional guidance to investigators when dealing with dishonest employees, employee theft, sexual harassment, policy violations, building rapport, pre-employment interviewing, lying, denials and obtaining a statement.By focusing on the latest information and research from experts in the field as well as academia, legal and psychological resources, these video tips provide interview and interrogation training techniques that can enhance the skill sets of professionals with backgrounds in law enforcement, loss prevention, security, asset protection, human resources, auditors, or anyone looking to obtain the truth.To learn more, visit www.w-z.com or www.certifiedinterviewer.com. Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now