INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – Ronald Goldman’s father sued O.J. Simpson on Tuesday, seeking any money the former NFL star received for a canceled book deal and TV interview that told a hypothetical tale of how he would have killed his ex-wife and Goldman. The federal lawsuit filed in California by Fred Goldman’s Indianapolis-based attorney accuses Simpson of “fraudulent conveyance” and alleges that he created a shell corporation that received at least $1.1 million as part of the TV interview and book, titled “If I Did It.” Attorney Jonathan Polak said Lorraine Brooke Associates was created in March using the middle name of Simpson’s two children. The lawsuit calls it a “sham entity” formed to defraud Ron Goldman’s relatives by preventing them from claiming any of more than $38 million Simpson owes the family from a judgment against him in a wrongful death lawsuit. Goldman’s lawsuit seeks about $1.1 million plus punitive damages, although Polak said he believed Simpson has already spent the money he received from News Corp., the owner of Fox Broadcasting and publisher HarperCollins. Polak said the lawsuit’s true aim is to determine how the book and TV interview deals were reached. “The question in this lawsuit is not about what’s in their bank account right now,” he said. “The issue is, can we unwind this series of transactions and hold those we believe truly are responsible accountable financially?” Polak said he believes Judith Regan – who was fired last week as a publisher by HarperCollins – and Rupert Murdoch, owner of News Corp., need “to come clean” on their knowledge of how Simpson was reimbursed for the deal. Andrew Butcher, a News Corp. spokesman, said he could not comment on the possibility of Murdoch being deposed. He said News Corp. has been working with Goldman’s family to answer questions about the book deal. “From the very start, we’d offered every assistance to the family of Ron Goldman. Any information they have asked for regarding the contracts for the Simpson book, we have given them,” Butcher said. Polak said he has asked News Corp. to destroy all copies of the book, as well as copies of the interview with Fox that was to have aired. He also wants News Corp. to assign all rights to those books and interviews to the Goldman family. Butcher said News Corp. has destroyed all copies of “If I Did It” but objected to the request to assign the rights to the Goldmans. “You don’t own the rights to someone’s book in perpetuity,” he said. “It doesn’t work that way. It’s more complicated.” Simpson told The Associated Press last month that he took part in the project solely for personal profit and acknowledged that any financial gain was “blood money.” Simpson would not say how much he was paid in advance, only that it was less than the $3.5 million reported. He said the money already has been spent, some of it on tax obligations. Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday with Simpson’s attorney, Yale Galanter. Simpson was acquitted of criminal charges in the 1994 killings. In 1997, a civil court jury, using a lesser standard of proof than is required at a criminal trial, found Simpson liable for Nicole Brown Simpson’s and Goldman’s stabbing deaths. The jury ordered him to pay about $19.7 million to Goldman’s family – an amount Polak said has grown to more than $38 million with interest. Fred Goldman said in a statement that he was eager to learn who worked with Simpson on the deal. “We will not stop until we are able to shine the light of truth on those that acted in concert with him,” he said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: John Jackson greets a Christmas that he wasn’t sure he’d see160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Australia’s spin consultant Sridharan Sriram, who has been credited for Steeve O’Keefe’s sensational performance in the first Test against India, feels it’s not the name of a coach but his inputs that earn him respect from players.Sriram, who played 8 ODIs for India during early part of the last decade, is considered the guiding force behind left-arm spinner O’Keefe’s match-winning figures of 12 for 70 in Australia’s 333-run win in the first Test against India.”I don’t think the name really matters, does it? How does a name matter? I mean, I come in and if I talk sense they listen to me, if I talk bull**** they don’t. It’s as simple as that,” Sriram said on Monday when asked if he has faced problems of acceptability considering he is not a big name. (Steve O’Keefe akin to reliable Korean car: Monty Panesar)”I think it’s taken time… They have really been open. That’s the best thing about this Australian team. They have been open to listening first. And then obviously I made sense a little bit and they started listening and they started trying out things in the nets and saw that it worked for them and I think that’s how it’s gone,” said Sriram.”I have a chat with everyone, it is not just the spinners, that is the freedom I get from my head coach which is amazing so I can chat to anyone if I feel there is something they should do, I go up to them and suggest and it is up to them if they implement it or not, some say no some say yes, I am willing to try and prolong the conversation,”advertisementSriram sounded practical in his approach. (India frugal with praise for Pune tormentor Steve O’Keefe)Sriram said O’Keefe’s success should be attributed to his “preparedness” and “willingness to experiment”.Asked what exactly did O’Keefe change, Sriram said: “Not necessarily change, more I would use the word adapt. Because India is such a big country, there’s no one-stop solution. If you say ‘this will work’, it is not going to work. So you have just got to adapt on the go. You have got to see what works for you on that day.”And so I think that’s where O’Keefe really scored, because he was well-prepared. He was prepared to experiment, he was prepared to sort of try different things in the nets. Which goes back to our time in Chennai in 2015. So, I think he knew that he had to come with an open mind for every day of a Test Match. What works on day one may not work on day three. He knows that. I think that’s his biggest strength,” said Sriram.
WILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Community Television Executive Director Shaun Neville recently interviewed State Representative Candidate Mark Kratman (D-Tewksbury) as part of WCTV’s 2018 Candidate Conversations series.Kratman answers the following questions:Why are you in this race?Discuss your decision to enter the race after State Rep. Miceli’s sudden passing, just days before the filing deadline.Describe your background, what you bring to the table, and how long you’ve lived in the area.What binds the towns of Tewksbury and Wilmington, and their people, together?Why are you the best candidate to represent this district?Tell us about your campaign thus far. What have you been up to? What will you be doing leading up to Election Day to get your word out?Watch the 16-minute interview, courtesy of Wilmington Community Television, below:—Video Playerhttps://objects-us-west-1.dream.io/wilmington/8/e/c/d/a/b/8ecdabe7-fada-464a-a389-3104bdca60381532087566.580%2B36870265.624%40castus4-wilmington%2B15320902451532087784112994.vod.720p.Candidate%20Conversations_%20State%20Rep%20-%20Mark%20Kratman%20.mp400:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.—Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedDEBATE HIGHLIGHT: Most Democratic Candidates Not Ready To Pledge To Support Their Party’s Nominee In General ElectionIn “Government”STATE REP RACE: Candidate Pina Prinzivalli Discusses Her Campaign For State Rep With WCTVIn “Government”STATE REP RACE: Candidate Erin Buckley Discusses Her Campaign For State Rep With WCTVIn “Videos”
Participants at the roundtable jointly organised by Prothom Alo and UNICEF at the Prothom Alo office in the capital on Sunday. Photo: Prothom AloDiscussants at a roundtable stressed that the Rohingya children should be provided with basic education, food and other necessities as well as proper security as long as they are in Bangladesh.The roundtable was jointly organised by ProthomAlo and UNICEF at the Prothom Alo office in the capital on Sunday. Prothom Alo associate editor Abdul Qayyum moderated the roundtable.Chief guest at the roundtable, Bangladesh Human Rights Commission chairman Kazi Reazul Hoque, said almost 400,000 Rohingya children took shelter in Cox’s Bazar since the latest crisis began with violent attacks in Rakhine on 25 August.Speaking about providing legal assistance to the Rohingyas in Bangladesh, assistant external relations officer of UNHCR Souvik Das said Bangladesh lacks any kind of refugee law. However, identifying the newborn Rohingyas in Bangladesh and providing them with birth certificates can help them, he added.He also mentioned that the majority of the Rohingya female refugees were pregnant or were child brides.He also said most of the children in the camps were traumatised following the atrocities they witnessed in Myanmar and proper security for them has to be ensured in the camps.Speaking about the latest condition of the Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar, executive director of Coast Trust, Rezaul Karim Chowdhury, said Bangladesh should have two types of plans for managing the current refugee crisis.He said, plan A should be providing basic education for the Rohingya children and also ensuring long term education programmes in the refugee camps, so that the refugee children can get a stable future.He said plan B should be to continue pressure on Myanmar to take back the Rohingyas.Special guest additional secretary of social welfare ministry Khairul Anam said the Rohingya influx into Bangladesh has continued for the last 40 years. He also appreciated the fact that different local as well as international organisations were working along with the government to cope with the crisis.Khairul Anam said currently there are a total of 10 Rohingya refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar and Teknaf where a total of 12,000 children have been registered till now.Among others, programme coordinator of BRAC M Nazrul Islam, child protection expert of UNICEF Monira Hasan, head of child rights and protection, Plan International, Tania Nusrat Zaman, national program officer (adolescent and youth gender) of UNFPA Humaira Farhana, deputy director of community development center Tsadduk Hossain, and deputy country director of Handicap International Sharmin Khan, also addressed the roundtable.
Lesli Foster of WUSA9 News, along with FOX 5 News’ Shawn Yancy and ABC7/WJLA-TV’s Rebecca Cooper, headlined breast cancer fundraiser at the Powerhouse.Many familiar faces seen daily and nightly on local Washington D.C. news television stations were dressed in all hues of pink at the D.C. Newsbabes Bash fundraiser for breast cancer. More than a dozen female news anchors, and special guest Dr. Jill Biden hosted a swanky fundraiser to benefit Survivors Offering Support (SOS) June 11 at the Powerhouse in the Georgetown area of Washington, D.C.The classy two-hour event united major area anchorwomen in a sea of pink solidarity across the D.C. metropolitan area all in one room, as they raised funds for breast cancer survivors. The on-air news hosts included Lesli Foster and Andrea Roane of Gannett’s WUSA 9 and Allison Seymour , and Shawn Yancy of FOX 5 News of FOX 5 News.Dozens of pink spotlights shined along the walls of the three-level venue as specialty cocktails were served, hors d’oeuvres were passed, and sweet treats including cupcakes by Georgetown Cupcake and gelato by Dolci Gelati. In 2009, a group of friends working in the television news industry provided the idea to create an event to benefit a widely known cause that has now continued for six years. This year’s sponsors included Spilled Milk Catering, Bethesda Row, Powerhouse, and Glassman Wealth Services.“This is a group of dedicated and competitive women, uniquely working together for an amazing cause. Now, that’s newsworthy,” said President Barry Glassman a sponsor who donated a whopping $10,000 to the Newsbabes Bash organization on behalf of Glassman Wealth Services.Although Washington pro football star Robert Griffin III was not in attendance, he donated a pair of flashy pink football cleats he wore in October for breast cancer awareness month. The autographed cleats were auctioned at the event with bids beginning at $500.In addition to anchorwomen, more familiar faces including 45-year NBC 4 news anchor Jim Vance, WPGC 95.5’s Tati of the Pablo Morning Show, and Oprah Winfrey Network’s OWN TV star Bershan Shaw supported the breast cancer awareness bash. Shaw, a two-time breast cancer survivor kept her first diagnosis private. Upon finding cancer in her body a second time, the OWN TV reality star now shares her personal struggle with the disease.According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among African-American women with an estimated 27,060 new cases expected to surface from 2013. African-Americans have the highest death rate and shortest survival span for most cancers compared to other racial and ethnic groups in the United States.
Kolkata: A man suspected to be under the influence of drugs stabbed his grandmother to death and attacked his parents, who ran out of the house to save their lives, at Keota Shibtala in Chinsurah on Sunday night.When the police arrived on the spot, the youth allegedly chased the officers with a sharp weapon. On Monday, the police arrested the youth with the help of fire brigade personnel. According to sources, the youth identified as Indranil Roy lived at Keota Shibtala with his parents and 80-year-old grandmother Arati Roy. The family went to a picnic with their relatives on Sunday and returned late in the night and soon retired to bed. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAround 12:30am, Indranil attacked his grandmother Arati while she was asleep. At first, he used bamboo sticks to attack her and later he stabbed her with a sharp weapon. Hearing Arati’s scream in pain, Indranil’s father ran to his mother’s room to save her. When he allegedly tried to stop Indranil, he got agitated further and attacked his parents in a fit of rage. The couple somehow managed to save themselves by quickly running out of the house. Hearing them screaming for help, local residents came out of their homes. Chinsurah police station was also informed. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateThe police went to the house and found that Indranil inside his room on the first floor. Arati’s body was recovered by the officers. Meanwhile, a police officer along with a constable went to apprehend Indranil. He allegedly chased the police officers with a sharp weapon. To save themselves police personnel also ran for their lives. After a few minutes, Indranil returned to the house. As soon as he entered the house, local residents locked the gate of the house. Sources informed Indranil destroyed the lights and electrical wires of his house. On Monday morning, when he found that the gate was locked from outside, he requested local residents to give him the keys. He tried to break the gate but failed to do so. After a few minutes, he went live on Facebook and confessed to the crime. The cops tried to pacify him but they failed. Later, fire brigade was informed. Fire fighters went up to the roof using the fire brigade ladder and got into the house. When Indranil was talking to local residents at the front gate, he was nabbed from behind. The police said Indranil was arrested and was probably a drug addict. It is said he committed the crime under the influence of drugs. He will be produced before the Chinsurah Court on Tuesday. Sources informed that the police may knock on the court door to find out the condition of his mental health.