FCC seeks more precise wireless emergency alerts

first_img The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted an order to improve geographic targeting of the emergency alerts sent by mobile operators in a bid to improve accuracy.The Wireless Emergency Alerts system allows authorities to send critical information to the public in short messages over mobile networks. Alerts may cover warnings of severe weather, evacuation or shelter-in place orders and missing person notifications.Under the new order, operators will be required to deliver alerts across 100 per cent of the target area chosen by an alert originator with an overshoot of no more than one-tenth of a mile. Where coverage is not available, operators must deliver alerts across the covered area which best approximates the target. The rule will go into effect on 30 November 2019.Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel (pictured, far right) said alerts sent “to the right person at the right time in the right place can be the difference between life and death”, but noted “repeated imprecision” can cause citizens to disregard warnings. FCC chairman Ajit Pai (pictured, centre) said bringing a “finer brush to bear” will help get alerts to people who actually need them.Commissioner Michael O’Rielly (pictured, second from right) expressed concern operators would not be able to meet the 22-month implementation timeline, arguing the commission “cannot wish technology into existence”. He said further consideration is needed regarding how to implement the move “such as the need for hardware or software changes and updating new standards. This doesn’t happen overnight.”O’Rielly noted the commission will entertain a waiver of the implementation deadline if the standard process is delayed.The move comes after a record year of natural disasters in the US and the erroneous deployment of an alert in Hawaii earlier this month warning of an impending missile attack. FCC moves on China Unicom block Diana Goovaerts Previous ArticleCake prepares to take on Safari, ChromeNext ArticleGlobe Telecom selects Openet back-office platform US coalition calls for FCC spectrum shake-up Home FCC seeks more precise wireless emergency alerts Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Related Web companies renew US net neutrality campaign Tags AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 30 JAN 2018 Diana is Mobile World Live’s US Editor, reporting on infrastructure and spectrum rollouts, regulatory issues, and other carrier news from the US market. Diana came to GSMA from her former role as Editor of Wireless Week and CED Magazine, digital-only… Read more Authorlast_img read more

Continue reading

Donegal to receive Ireland’s largest road fund allocation for 2018

first_img Donegal to receive Ireland’s largest road fund allocation for 2018 Twitter Google+ By News Highland – December 23, 2017 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic WhatsApp Donegal is to receive the biggest allocation in roads funding in the country for 2018, with €40 million being given to Donegal County Council.The funding will be put to use in a number of major N56 works including from Dungloe to Glenties, Mountcharles to Inver, Coolboy to Kilmacrennan (Blue Banks), Boyoughter to Kilkenny, Drumbeigh to Inver, Kilkenny to Letterlilly, Mountcharles to Drumbeigh.Funding has also been made available for a range of other projects and maintenance works throughout the county.The announcement was made by Government Chief Whip and Donegal TD Joe McHugh, who has paid tribute to Transport Infrastructure Ireland as well as Donegal County Council:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Joeroads.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th center_img Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Twitter Previous articleBig numbers expected for Finn Valley festive 5kNext articleSt Eunan’s hosting Hurling/Football match for Michael McGrath News Highland Facebook Facebook Pinterest Homepage BannerNews Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA WhatsApp Community Enhancement Programme open for applicationslast_img read more

Continue reading

Scenes From Last To Know At Summer Concert Friday

first_imgYoung dancers groove to the music of Last to Know, a seven-piece band based out of Taos, during the Secret City Summer Concert Series Friday night at Ashley Pond Park. Photo by Kirsten Laskey/ladailypost.comLos Alamos Chamber of Commerce Director Ryn Herrmann introduces the band, Last to Know in the Pavilion Friday night at Ashley Pond Park. Photo by Kirsten Laskey/ladailypost.comTom Pryor on guitar and pedal steel. Photo by Kirsten Laskey/ladailypost.comRandy Morris on drums. Photo by Kirsten Laskey/ladailypost.comLast to Know band member Dan Irion. Photo by Kirsten Laskey/ladailypost.comHowie Roemer on keyboards. Photo by Kirsten Laskey/ladailypost.comlast_img

Continue reading

Milovan names squad for Lesotho game

first_imgGhana play Lesotho at home on October 12 at the Sekondi Sports Stadium in the final Group 5 match.The Black Stars are expected to win to guarantee them a place amongst the final 20 teams who would play for the five qualifying spots available to Africa at the 2010 World Cup.Milovan Rajevac has named his second Ghana squad since taking over the Black Stars in August, making just a few changes to the team he announced for the last game against Libya.The Stars would be without Michael Essien of Chelsea, Kaizer Chiefs defender, Jonathan Quartey, and Laryea Kingston who has two yellow cards.Despites their absence, some old members of the team make a return, Lyon defender, John Mensah who missed the Libya game through injury returns to the squad.Matthew Amoah, scorer of six goals for club, NEC Breda in the Dutch Eredivise after four games is in contention for a starting place for Ghana. The striker pulled out of the opening Group 5 match for Ghana because he was indisposed but has earned another call up from Milovan Rajevac.Prince Tagoe who scored twice in four World Cup qualifying games is back after missing the match in Libya while Auxerre regular, Moussa Narry gains a call up.Defenders, John Boye and David Addy, both former regular members of the local Black Stars are called up as the Liberty Professionals duo of Yaw Antwi and midfielder Daniel Yeboah are the only new names in the local contingent of six players.Ghana missed the chance to top the Group 5 table after defeat to Libya, but Milovan Rajevac says his players would come good at the Sekondi Sports Stadium as he reflects on the important game.Ghana squad: Goalkeepers: Richard Kingson (Wigan Athletic, England), George Owu (El Masry, Egypt) William Amamoo (Etasellat, Egypt)Defender: John Paintsil (Fullham, England), Harrison Afful (Gomoa Feyernood, Ghana), Samuel Inkoom (Asante Kotoko, Ghana), John Boye (Stade Rennes, France), David Addy (Randers FC, Denmark), John Mensah (Olympique Lyon, France), Eric Eddo (PSV Eindhoven, Holland)Midfielder: Daniel Yeboah (Liberty Professionals, Ghana), Sulley Muntari (Inter Milan, Italy), Anthony Annan (Rosenborg, Norway), Haminu Dramani, (Locomotive Moscow, Russian) Moussa Narry (Auxerre, France), Stephen Appiah (unattached), Agyeman Badu (Berekum Arsenals, Ghana)Strikers: Junior Agogo (Zamalek, Egypt) Matthew Amoah (NAC Breda, Holland), Yaw Antwi, (Liberty Professionals, Ghana), Eric Bekoe (Asante Kotoko, Ghana), Prince Tagoe (Al-Ittifaq, Saudi Arabia).last_img read more

Continue reading