The risks of politeness: It has its place only to a point

first_imgThe Windsor Star:Dr. Aidan Feeney has a few thoughts about politeness. Essentially, he thinks it has the ability to cost lives.“The more serious the situation, the more likely you are to be polite and the more room there is for confusion,” says Feeney, a professor at the school of psychology at Queen’s University, Belfast, and co-author of a new paper entitled The Risk of Polite Misunderstanding, published last week by the Association of Psychological Science. “We’re motivated to protect the face of the people we’re speaking with, but when delivering bad news, or explaining a grave situation, a lack of bluntness makes a high-stakes situation much more grave.”Feeney and his cohorts – who include Wim De Neys and Jean-Francois Bonnefon, a professor who has spent almost a decade researching politeness at the Universite de Toulouse in Bonnefont, France – are not out to incite a wave of rudeness, though. Feeney says a little politeness in everyday society is just fine.Read the full story: The Windsor Star More of our Members in the Media >last_img read more

Continue reading

Taiyo Nippon Sanso invests in US company SulfaTrap

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

Continue reading

Lack of financial support impacting Kalinago Festival

first_img Share 222 Views   no discussions Share Sharing is caring! LocalNews Lack of financial support impacting Kalinago Festival by: Dominica Vibes News – July 31, 2015center_img Share Carib Chief, Charles WilliamsThe lack of financial support from government and the Ministry of Kalinago Affairs has been identified by Carib Chief, Charles Williams among reasons for rescheduling the first Indigenous Cultural Festival and cancellation of some planned activities. Chief Williams accused government and Kalinago Affairs Minister, Cassius Darroux of not being supportive of the Festival at a press briefing on Thursday 30 July 2015 at the Prevost Cinemall in Roseau.The Festival, which was initially scheduled for July has been rescheduled to 8-9 August 2015.Chief Williams claims that the Festival was developed by him and was used as his campaign message for re-election as chief.“When I got into office of Chief, I took it to the Council to endorse the program and from then on we started working on the program,” he explained. Chief Williams stated that as early as December 2014 a letter communicating the intention to host the Festival was sent to the Ministry Kalinago Affairs and inviting them to attend planning meetings. “The Minister did indicate that he was not receiving those messages, he did however participate in two of the meetings but the discussions that we had were not so encouraging,” Williams said.“So this is where we are, we cannot say that they are with us on the program, because they have not indicated their willingness to support the program,” he continued. Minister responsible for Kalinago Affairs, Casius DarrouxThe Chief noted however that Minister Darroux “said that he would support the program in words, but from a practical stand point we have not seen them come forward”.But Minister Darroux told Dominica Vibes on Friday 31 July 2015, the Ministry of Kalinago Affairs is in “full support” of a cultural festival for the Kalinago people but the Chief must be transparent.Minister Darroux informed that the Ministry was not part of the planning and was never informed about the Festival.“In fact, in the Kalinago Territory there is an events planning committee, Chief bypass the events planning committee and went and form another committee for the festival. He even went further opening up his own account so that monies can be deposited into an account which he has bypassed from the Kalinago Council’s account,” Mr Darroux indicated.Additionally, Mr Darroux said he had many concerns about how the monies collected for the festival would be spent as well as the safety of the persons participating in the Regatta. Mr Darroux said he advised Chief to write to the Minister of National Security asking for the Coast Guard to provide assistance for the Regatta and to the Minister of Finance regarding funding.“I told Chief I want to be part of the program but I am not going to be part of failure,” he said.He noted that the Chief is hosting an event of such magnitude with little planning and a budget that is larger than that of the World Creole Music Festival.“From the inception of this Festival Chief has been saying it is my festival, he personalized it to himself and those persons surrounding him and I am not prepared to facilitate anything to someone who is being selfish and dishonest to the Kalinago people,” Minister Darroux said. Tweetlast_img read more

Continue reading

Durant officially joins Nets, to wear No. 7

first_imgDurant has worn No. 35 since he was 16, first donning it torepresent the age of one of his youth coaches who was shot and killed inMaryland, according to a New York Times feature published in 2017. Changing teams won’t be new for Durant, after he left theOklahoma City Thunder for the Warriors three summers ago, but he will bewearing a new number for the first time since entering the NBA: No. 7. “Kevin is a champion, perennial All-Star and one of thegreat players of this, or any, generation,” general manager Sean Marks said ina statement. “Adding a player of Kevin’s caliber to our organization elevatesour ability to compete with the elite teams in this league. His tremendousabilities and dedication to his craft have made him as talented an offensiveplayer our game has ever seen and we, as well as all of Brooklyn, are thrilledto welcome Kevin and his family to the Nets.” BROOKLYN Nets officially added forward Kevin Durant onSunday (Monday, Philippine time), announcing his arrival as part of asign-and-trade deal with the Golden State Warriors a week after the 10-timeAll-Star announced his intentions to join Brooklyn. Durant, who turns 31 in September, is expected to miss theentire 2019-20 season because of the ruptured Achilles he suffered in Game 5 ofthe NBA Finals against the Toronto Raptors. Durant tweeted a photo on social media of a Nets No. 7jersey hanging in a locker. He added a statement from his business, Thirty FiveVentures, explaining the decision to change numbers, reading: The Warriors last week announced they will retire Durant’sNo. 35. The Thunder have given out the No. 35 since Durant left, but theexpectation is they will retire it in the future. “35 took my family and me from Seat Pleasant, MD and showedus the world. 35 allowed me to meet people that I never would’ve had the chanceto meet, experience things I would never have had the chance to experience, andachieve things that I never would have been able to achieve. 35 allowed me togo to the University of Texas to play basketball, 35 allowed me to achieve mydream of playing in the NBA in Seattle. 35 allowed me to play basketball inOklahoma City and form bonds and friendships that will last a lifetime. Lastly,35 allowed me to go to the Bay Area and win two championships and formbrotherhoods that no time or distance will ever break. The former MVP averaged 26 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5.9assists in 78 games for the Warriors last season. He has career averages of 27points, 7.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists in 849 games. (Reuters) “35 was chosen in honor of someone very near and dear to me.I will always honor him and honor the number 35. But as I start this newchapter in my basketball life, the number I’ll be wearing on my back is thenumber 7 next time you see me on the floor. One time Brooklyn.” Kevin Durant enters the stadium before game five of the 2019 NBA Finals against Toronto Raptors at Scotiabank Arena in June 2019. He was playing for Golden State Warriors then. On Monday (Philippine time), Brooklyn Nets announced Durant will be playing for them, wearing a new number for the first time since entering the NBA: No. 7. USA TODAY last_img read more

Continue reading