FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail RelatedGround Broken for $2.3 Billion Portmore Sewage Project Advertisements Thousands of Jamaicans are expected to participate in the removal of garbage and other debris from the nation’s beaches, as Jamaica observes International Coastal Clean-Up Day on Saturday, September 20.Activities are being coordinated by the Jamaica Environment Trust (JET) with support from several organisations and entities including the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF).The main project will be the cleaning of Fort Rocky on the Palisadoes Strip in Kingston, while the Urban Development Corporation (UDC), and National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) are collaborating to remove garbage from the Hellshire Beach in St. Catherine.Programme Co-ordinator at JET, Suzanne Stanley, told JIS News that close to 9,000 persons have already registered to participate in the day’s activities.“Last year it was about 6,000. Right now that figure is close to 9,000 and could get up to 10,000,” she stated.She said the increased numbers is indicative of “a real interest” by Jamaicans in wanting to care for the environment.Ms. Stanley informed that close to 140 coastal areas that have been registered for cleaning by over 80 large and small groups including community organizations, corporate entities, service clubs, churches, schools, and groups of concerned friends.Manager of the Ecosystems Management Branch at NEPA, Andrea Donaldson, in noting the significance of the clean-up effort, said improper disposal of garbage presents a danger to wildlife.“Improper disposal of garbage causes wildlife to die. We have found seabirds with plastic caps in their stomach and there are the rubber back turtles that eat plastic bags believing they are eating jellyfish and they die,” she stated.Miss Donaldson, who was addressing a JIS Think Tank on Wednesday, September 10, noted that activities such as the beach clean-up help to “teach the public why it is very important to dispose of their garbage properly.”Environmental Co-ordinator at the UDC, Danae Vaccianna, who also addressed the Think Tank, invited residents of Hellshire and surrounding communities to participate in the removal of garbage from the Hellshire Beach and other beaches across the island.“It’s a fun day for families and a learning experience and we’re also talking about protected areas,” she said.Persons wishing to participate in International Coastal Clean-Up Day can visit JET’s website at www.jamentrust.org to register. They can also access information on the entire list of activities, their locations, and the organizers of the events. Story HighlightsThousands of Jamaicans are expected to participate in the removal of garbage and other debris from the nation’s beaches, as Jamaica observes International Coastal Clean-Up Day on Saturday, September 20.Activities are being coordinated by the Jamaica Environment Trust (JET) with support from several organisations and entities including the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF).The main project will be the cleaning of Fort Rocky on the Palisadoes Strip in Kingston. RelatedNew Licensing Regime for Sawmill and Power Saw Operators Photo: JIS PhotographerManager of the Ecosystems Management Branch at the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA), Andrea Donaldson, welcomed the increased interest in International Coastal Clean-Up Day, at a JIS Think Tank held on September 10. Thousands of Jamaicans to Clean BeachesJIS News | Presented by: PausePlay% buffered00:0000:00UnmuteMuteDisable captionsEnable captionsSettingsCaptionsDisabledQualityundefinedSpeedNormalCaptionsGo back to previous menuQualityGo back to previous menuSpeedGo back to previous menu0.5×0.75×Normal1.25×1.5×1.75×2×Exit fullscreenEnter fullscreenPlay RelatedNWC Takes Steps to Reduce Water Theft Thousands of Jamaicans to Clean Beaches EnvironmentSeptember 12, 2014Written by: Rodger Hutchinson
Vermont Law School,Students and faculty from the Center for Legal Innovation at Vermont Law School will attend LegalTech 2014 in New York City, bringing with them ideas and expertise that are sought after by industry leaders like Google, LexisNexis, and Capital Novus. This is the fourth year Vermont Law has attended the conference, which has resulted in jobs for students and research support for faculty.Considered the largest and most important legal technology event of the year, LegalTech annually draws tens of thousands of attorneys and legal staff seeking the latest information in an estimated $20-30 billion industry to improve the way they practice law in an ever-changing technological world.Among the Vermont Law faculty attending LegalTech is Professor Oliver Goodenough, director of the Center for Legal Innovation (CLI) and recipient of a Google grant on how technology is changing the study and practice of law.‘The LegalTech show is an important showcase for the technology companies that are revolutionizing large portions of legal practice,’ Goodenough said. ‘For a law school to have a presence there is more than just an opportunity for its students; it makes a statement about the school’s commitment to leadership in the new reality of the law.’In addition, Jeanne Eicks, managing director of CLI, will attend and be interviewed by LexisNexis on Tuesday, Feb. 4, regarding her legal game ‘Evidence Challenge,’ which was released at the American Association of Law Schools by LexisNexis earlier this month.‘The exchange of information at LegalTech is invaluable to my students as we continually explore eDiscovery, virtual law practice, automated legal systems and other emerging trends,’ Eicks said. ‘It is also a great networking experience for them to establish connections with global innovators.’In addition to ‘Evidence Challenge,’ Eicks wrote a chapter for ‘Educating the Digital Lawyer,’ which will be distributed Thursday, Feb. 6, at the ‘Women in eDiscovery’ panel. Published by LexisNexis in 2012, the eBook was co-edited by Professor Goodenough, who is widely regarded as an academic leader in legal innovation and a pioneer of both the digital law revolution and applications of cognitive science to law.Among the Center for Legal Innovation students attending LegalTech are Sarah Truckle ‘14 and Samantha Mashler ‘14, both Google grant fellows, and alumna Amanda Lee ‘13, who was hired as a technology solutions analyst with Capital Novus, a global firm that provides knowledge management and litigation support consulting services.‘Vermont Law School’s legal technology courses and professors were integral to my finding a job prior to graduation,’ Lee said. ‘As part of the digital drafting course, I was able to attend LegalTech [in 2013] and talk with many of the attorneys and companies there. This gave me better insight into the numerous ways that technologically-savvy attorneys can thrive in our current economy and help shape the law to come.’Dan Fineberg is a former Center for Legal Innovation student who began his career as a result of attending LegalTech. He is currently employed at Exari, a Boston-based firm focusing on legal document automation, after receiving his Vermont Law degree.‘As part of my job, I advise corporate counsel on how best to automate large suites of different contracts, organize and streamline their contracting process, and assist in the automation of documents,’ Fineberg said. ‘In addition, I help to devise new functionality for the product, especially in the realm of contract lifecycle management. I also teach user training courses in both Exari contract management and Exari Power Author, and collect business requirements from clients.’Fineberg added that ‘taking eLawyering [at Vermont Law School] has been a huge help in developing the necessary skills to succeed in today’s legal market.’For more information about the Center for Legal Innovation at Vermont Law School, call 802-231-1005, email [email protected](link sends e-mail) or visit http://bit.ly/1eafhaK(link is external).SOUTH ROYALTON, Vt., Jan. 30, 2014’‘VLS
Gov. Crist backs a full pardon for wrongfully convicted Crotzer Senior EditorGov. Charlie Crist wanted to grant DNA exoneree Alan Crotzer a full pardon and expunge his prior convictions to truly give him a fresh start in life.But one thing stood in his way: a 2004 Florida Supreme Court decision.Undeterred, Crist said to colleagues on the Cabinet, sitting as the Florida Board of Executive Clemency, on October 21: “We have a couple of new members over there, don’t we? And a couple more to come.”The law, Crist said, is “whatever those judges say it is on any given day. We can, if we want, choose to send them a test.”The governor then renewed his motion for a full pardon and expungement. There were no objections.“So it is done,” Crist said, as 47-year-old Crotzer thrust his fists into the air and smiled broadly and gave thanks.Taking a break to shake hands in the hallway with an elated Crotzer, Crist told reporters: “I am very proud of Alan Crotzer.”The governor’s lead completed a second chance for Crotzer.In 2006, Crotzer was exonerated by DNA evidence. Earlier this year, the Legislature compensated him $1.25 million for 24 years, six months, 13 days, and four hours he was wrongfully incarcerated for two rapes he did not commit.But still, Crotzer told Crist, Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink, Attorney General Bill McCollum, and Agricultural Commissioner Charlie Bronson, he doesn’t have a “new life completely.”To illustrate his point, Crotzer told about a recent traffic stop in Levy County. When the officer ran his tag number, up popped his prison record and prior crimes: stealing Busch Light from a convenience store when he was 18; and introducing contraband into a Pasco County prison in 1991, while serving time for the rapes he didn’t commit, because, Crotzer said, a sergeant guard enlisted him to buy $100 pot from him and he was afraid to refuse.At the traffic stop, he was pelted with a barrage of questions: How did you get out of prison and why? Next came a request to search his car, which he said he allowed because “it was 9:30 at night and I was by myself and there were too many of them.”The same questions about his past linger when he tries to find housing, too.“All I am asking today is that I be given an opportunity to have a brand new life. I am not the monster that they tried to make me out to be. Every day in prison, I tried to prove that, every single day,” Crotzer said. “I’m out and I’m still trying to prove it.”Crotzer has proven his worth to Gov. Crist.The governor — who gladly signed his $1.25 million compensation bill and then signed a waiver to allow Crotzer to work part-time at the Department of Juvenile Justice telling young people his story as a warning that one bad mistake can ruin your life — recommended a full pardon and expungement of Crotzer’s record.“Are there any objections?” Crist asked his colleagues.There were questions.John Booth, assistant general counsel at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement who was deemed an expert on the issue, came to the podium with this answer: “In the face of a conviction, I don’t know of a way — under the Florida Statutes, as construed by the Florida Supreme Court — for the record of that conviction to be expunged by the court.”Booth referred to a November 18, 2004, case, R.J.L. v. State of Florida, (887 So.2d 1268 ), written by Justice Fred Lewis, which held that “a pardon does not have the effect of erasing guilt so that a conviction is treated as though it had never occurred. A pardoned individual can therefore not satisfy the requirements of section 943.0585(2)(e), and cannot qualify for a certificate of eligibility [for expungement of records].”That 6-1 opinion upheld a 2001 First District Court of Appeal decision and disapproved a clashing Fifth District Court of Appeal’s 1992 holding in Doe v. State, (595 So.2d 212).Justice Harry Lee Anstead wrote in his dissent: “Not only does the majority brush aside our unambiguous and clearly controlling precedent, it also strikes a blow to a fundamental principle of the separation of powers: that the executive alone possesses the power to pardon. Today, we have sharply curtailed that power by validating legislative limitations that clearly conflict with the fundamental principle that the executive alone possesses the power to pardon and to determine the conditions that may be placed upon a pardon.”Of his decision to grab back executive power, Crist told reporters during a break: “I doubt anyone would challenge it.”Now a free man with no prior record, Crotzer is setting his sights on another goal. He said he wants to get a college degree and become a prison inspector, and he has an appointment this month with Department of Corrections Secretary Walt McNeil to talk about his career goals.“I know what goes on in there,” Crotzer said. “I can’t stop it, but maybe I can slow it down.. . . At the prisoners’ expense, there is corruption in prison. That’s what I had to live through. It’s ongoing. It’s pathetic. There is no one there for them. There was no one there for me,” Crotzer said.“I’m not perfect. I don’t claim to be perfect. But I am asking for an opportunity to have a brand new life and do something good with my life. I want to stand in the gap for all of those people who are wrongfully convicted.” November 15, 2008 Jan Pudlow Senior Editor Regular News Gov. Crist backs a full pardon for wrongfully convicted Crotzer
LAPS News:Los Alamos Public Schools reports that online registration for Kindergarten for 2020-2021 at Aspen, Barranca, Chamisa, Mountain and Piñon elementary schools will be available Monday, April 6, 2020 through the LAPS website.Registration is an important step to ensure that your child is placed in a kindergarten class for the upcoming school year.To enroll your child, simply visit the LAPS Registration page at laschools.net/registration. From the Registration page, choose the Kindergarten tab to begin the application.Children who turn five before 12:01 a.m. Sept. 1, 2020, are eligible to be enrolled in kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year. The first day of school is Aug. 13, 2020.Click here for more information on documentation required for new student enrollment. Kindergarten students who live outside of Los Alamos County must complete an Open Enrollment Application, which also can be found at laschools.net/registration.In addition, the applications for the New Mexico PreK Lottery also will open Monday, April 6, 2020. LAPS currently has a New Mexico PreK program at Piñon Elementary School.LAPS hopes to receive funding to offer additional New Mexico PreK programs in Los Alamos for the 2020-2021 school year. There is a maximum enrollment based on available funding so applications will be entered into a lottery for acceptance into the program. Parents will be allowed to select a program in Los Alamos or White Rock based on availability. The lottery opens at 8 a.m. and will be accessible at laschools.net. Lottery selection will be made in June 2020.For questions or more information, contact Sandra Osborn at [email protected] or 505.663.2228.
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
The theft of brake calipers is a scourge in our country now. The bikes were in a 5-star hotels’ parking lot. A group of Thai riders visiting Malaysia had the brake calipers stolen off one of their bikes. What is this country coming to? We hear about brake caliper thefts almost every single day now, but when it especially stinks when it involves motorcycles from other countries, like to these unfortunate Thai riders.Information is scant but according to the original poster, the Thais had stopped at the Gurney Hotel in Penang for the night. The woke up to missing brake calipers on their bikes the next morning.The first bike in the video is a Ducati Multistrada 1200. The Brembo calipers are missing, disconnected at the anchor points and hose’s banjo bolt. Brake fluids has leaked out everywhere.The next bike is a BMW R 1200 GS Adventure. The calipers were thankfully in place, but the hose was already disconnected. The scum probably didn’t have time to finish his dastardly deed.We couldn’t for the lives of us describe just how embarrassed we are about this. This wasn’t the first case. A Frenchman who was travelling around the world also lost the brake calipers on his motorcycle.Are thieves in Malaysia so brazen now that they could steal from 5-star hotel parking lots? And do we have to remind the police that not one single thief has been caught since we posted the tips on securing brake calipers a year ago? Or should street justice prevail but sentencing the thieves to impalement with a KLX250 fork?–Ads–
(REUTERS) – Wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant could make his one-day international debut for India after he was picked in their 14-man squad for the first two matches against West Indies, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said yesterday.Pant, who has impressed with 114 and 92 in his previous two Test appearances, has replaced an inconsistent Dinesh Karthik as cover for first-choice keeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.Karthik could not convert starts into big scores at the Asia Cup and finished with a total of 146 in six matches, missing the opportunity to secure the number four spot India have been looking to fill ahead of the 50-over World Cup next year.Captain Virat Kohli has returned to the squad after missing the Asia Cup, but quick bowlers Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah were rested. After proving his fitness in Test matches against England and West Indies, fast bowler Mohammed Shami was added to the one-day squad to bolster the pace attack.Fast bowlers Deepak Chahar and Siddarth Kaul, who featured in one match each at the Asia Cup, were left out while left-arm quick Khaleel Ahmed kept his place in the squad. The five-match ODI series kicks off in Guwahati on October 21 before moving to Visakhapatnam on October. 24. Pune, Mumbai and Thiruvananthapuram will host the other three matches.India lead the Test series 1-0 ahead of the second and final match in Hyderabad, which begins today.Full squad: Virat Kohli (captain), Rohit Sharma (vice-captain), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Ambati Rayudu, Manish Pandey, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wicketkeeper), Rishabh Pant, Ravindra Jadeja, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Khaleel Ahmed, Shardul Thakur.
Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Ian Holloway has responded to criticism of his comments about QPR fans who left early during his team’s 2-2 draw with Brentford.The Rangers manager was unhappy that many supporters had left before the home side netted twice in injury time to snatch a point in dramatic fashion.AdChoices广告In a video message released by the club, Holloway said he was sorry if his remarks had caused offence and declared: “I’m ready to fight and need you to fight with me, that’s all.” See also:Holloway criticises both sets of fans after dramatic derbyHolloway should apologise for his unacceptable baiting of QPR fansQPR’s Baptiste expected to be fit for Preston gameQPR send LuaLua back to BrightonOnuoha in QPR squad for Leeds game