Lothian Buses has unveiled a new design for its ‘poppy bus’, a Volvo B5LH with Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 bodywork, to mark this year’s Remembrance Day celebrations.Poppies adorn a bright red background to mark Lothian’s support of PoppyScotland and the Scottish Poppy Appeal.Unveiled on 1 November as part of the Edinburgh Poppy Day event at St Andrew Square, it will run various routes across Edinburgh and the Lothians during this month.The bus will again return to the Field of Remembrance to mark the two-minute silence on 11 November.Lothian invited former service personnel to attend. They include drivers Carlton Held, Hugh McCutcheon, PoppyScotland’s Gordon Michie, and driver John McNally (pictured l-r).Says Managing Director of Lothian Richard Hall: “Lothian is proud to have many employees across our business who currently serve in the reserves or are ex-armed forces personnel.“We hope that our activities running throughout the month of November, along with this year’s poppy bus, will help raise both awareness and vital funds for this great charity.”
www.portofsunderland.org.uk The cranes were used at its Corporation Quay deepwater river berth to lift 24 m-long cranes for export. This was followed by the discharge of a 116-tonne unit, also at the Corporation Quay berth.The port invested in a second Liebherr LHM 420 crane in 2019. With both units, the port can handle tandem lifts with a maximum payload of 240 tonnes.Matthew Hunt, port director at the port of Sunderland, said: “We invested in additional cranage in 2019, as our view of the marketplace at this time was that this would give us a more comprehensive handling capability, including being able to offer tandem lifting, something that allows us to support our customers’ demands more fully.”The enhanced handling capabilities, according to the port, have played a key role in its year-on-year increase in cargo volumes. From April to June, the port handled some 71,748 tonnes of cargo set for export, compared to just 38,661 tonnes for the same period last year.Councillor Graeme Miller, leader of Sunderland City Council and chair of the port of Sunderland, added that over GBP8 million (USD10.2 million) will be invested into the port over the coming years, as Sunderland looks to attract more business.
Share 222 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring! LocalNews Lack of financial support impacting Kalinago Festival by: Dominica Vibes News – July 31, 2015 Share Carib Chief, Charles WilliamsThe lack of financial support from government and the Ministry of Kalinago Affairs has been identified by Carib Chief, Charles Williams among reasons for rescheduling the first Indigenous Cultural Festival and cancellation of some planned activities. Chief Williams accused government and Kalinago Affairs Minister, Cassius Darroux of not being supportive of the Festival at a press briefing on Thursday 30 July 2015 at the Prevost Cinemall in Roseau.The Festival, which was initially scheduled for July has been rescheduled to 8-9 August 2015.Chief Williams claims that the Festival was developed by him and was used as his campaign message for re-election as chief.“When I got into office of Chief, I took it to the Council to endorse the program and from then on we started working on the program,” he explained. Chief Williams stated that as early as December 2014 a letter communicating the intention to host the Festival was sent to the Ministry Kalinago Affairs and inviting them to attend planning meetings. “The Minister did indicate that he was not receiving those messages, he did however participate in two of the meetings but the discussions that we had were not so encouraging,” Williams said.“So this is where we are, we cannot say that they are with us on the program, because they have not indicated their willingness to support the program,” he continued. Minister responsible for Kalinago Affairs, Casius DarrouxThe Chief noted however that Minister Darroux “said that he would support the program in words, but from a practical stand point we have not seen them come forward”.But Minister Darroux told Dominica Vibes on Friday 31 July 2015, the Ministry of Kalinago Affairs is in “full support” of a cultural festival for the Kalinago people but the Chief must be transparent.Minister Darroux informed that the Ministry was not part of the planning and was never informed about the Festival.“In fact, in the Kalinago Territory there is an events planning committee, Chief bypass the events planning committee and went and form another committee for the festival. He even went further opening up his own account so that monies can be deposited into an account which he has bypassed from the Kalinago Council’s account,” Mr Darroux indicated.Additionally, Mr Darroux said he had many concerns about how the monies collected for the festival would be spent as well as the safety of the persons participating in the Regatta. Mr Darroux said he advised Chief to write to the Minister of National Security asking for the Coast Guard to provide assistance for the Regatta and to the Minister of Finance regarding funding.“I told Chief I want to be part of the program but I am not going to be part of failure,” he said.He noted that the Chief is hosting an event of such magnitude with little planning and a budget that is larger than that of the World Creole Music Festival.“From the inception of this Festival Chief has been saying it is my festival, he personalized it to himself and those persons surrounding him and I am not prepared to facilitate anything to someone who is being selfish and dishonest to the Kalinago people,” Minister Darroux said. Tweet
(Reuters) – Six-times world champion Lewis Hamilton expects Formula One drivers to be united against racism at Sunday’s season-opening Austrian Grand Prix, and that could mean taking a knee before the start. There has been plenty of speculation about how the Mercedes driver might signal his support for the Black Lives Matter movement and those campaigning against racial injustice and inequality.Speaking to reporters via video link at the Red Bull Ring, with a padlocked chain around his neck, the 35-year-old Briton said the drivers had not all spoken to each other but he was sure they would.Hamilton, the sport’s only Black driver, added that he had not prioritised “a plan to come and kneel at the start line” but “we’ll see on Sunday”. “I think whatever we do, we’ll try to do it united,” he said.“I think it’s really important that we remain united or become united in this sport,” said Hamilton, who will be racing in black overalls and a black car with the message “End Racism” on it.The champion last month criticised those, including “the biggest of stars”, who had stayed silent on the killing of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man who died after a white U.S. police officer knelt on his neck. He explained that he had been referring to the industry as a whole, rather than rivals.“Our voices are powerful and if we bring them together collectively we can have a huge impact,” Hamilton said.“It’s the first race. Already as a team we have shown quite a big acknowledgement of where we are in society today and that we are not standing still, we are moving ahead. “We will I’m sure as drivers all stand to represent something.”Sunday’s race will end nearly four months of waiting for the season to start after the scheduled March 15 opener in Australia was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.Drivers and teams must all wear face masks and operate in “bubbles” in Austria to minimise the risk of spreading the disease, with regular tests. Hamilton, a vegan who is also outspoken on the environment and animal welfare, made clear he was wearing a cotton mask rather than a single-use disposable one.“I’m wearing a cloth mask right now. I have not worn any of the paper ones because they are ending up in the oceans,” he said.