RelatedJamaicans Urged To Keep Rich Heritage Alive RelatedJamaicans Urged To Keep Rich Heritage Alive By Athaliah Reynolds, JIS Reporter RelatedJamaicans Urged To Keep Rich Heritage Alive Advertisements Jamaicans Urged To Keep Rich Heritage Alive CultureNovember 9, 2011 FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail KINGSTON — Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, is urging Jamaicans to ensure that the country’s rich culture and heritage remains alive and relevant by inculcating what is best about the country in the minds of the young. “If we can reach the minds of our children, if we can help to mold these young minds before other influences crowd out what we have to offer, then our future is secured,” he stated. Sir Patrick was delivering the keynote address at the inaugural Jamaica Information Service (JIS) Heritage Essay Competition Awards Ceremony yesterday morning (November 8) at King’s House. A total of 10 students at the primary school level were recognised for their outstanding performance in the competition. The Governor-General congratulated the awardees and lauded the JIS for its role as a trailblazer in transmitting the achievements of Jamaicans to the world and for keeping the country’s heritage and culture alive and relevant. He said the JIS continues to play a very important role, not just in passing on government news and information, but also in reporting and preserving indigenous cultural values and highlighting what is best about Jamaicans. “The JIS is doing a good job in preserving our history and culture, ensuring that future generations know their past, and through that learning, they are empowered in their present circumstance,” he noted. The Governor-General further noted that the essay competition is a commendable endeavour, which fits in with his ‘I Believe Initiative’. He said it also promotes awareness of Jamaica’s heritage, and gives young people the chance to research and to become more aware of the achievements of their ancestors. “I hope…this essay competition…has left you fully inspired to learn more about how we came to be such a unique and distinguished people in the Caribbean and the world, and you will endeavour to learn more about our customs, our origins, our mores,” Sir Patrick stated. “Then I hope you will fall in love all over with Jamaica and you will be proud to say wherever you go that ‘I am a born Jamaican’,” he added. Nine-year old St. Hugh’s Preparatory student, Kathryn Gooden, took the top stop, walking away with a JIS trophy, weekend for four at Franklyn D. Resort, Sangster’s Book Store voucher, an MP4 Player and $10,000. St. Hugh’s also placed second, with 10 year-old Matthew Irons, who was the only male in the top 10, receiving $6,000, a digital camera, a flash drive, Sangster’s Book Store voucher and a JIS trophy. Rounding out the top three was 11 year-old, Tajrakae Bryson from Corinaldi Avenue Primary in St. James, who received a JIS trophy, a flash drive, a printer, book voucher and $4,000. The JIS received more than 150 entries for the heritage essay competition, which was open to primary school students nine to 12 years old. Entrants were asked to write a 300 to 350 word essay on the topic: Who is your favourite National Hero or Heroine? Explain. The competition is expected to become an annual event.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The Southampton Town Ethics Board ruled last week Town Highway Superintendent Alex Gregor and officials of the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club are going to have to resolve their differences without an opinion from the board of ethics.Gregor and the Club have been sparring over a road that traverses the golf course from St. Andrews Road to Tuckahoe Road. While Gregor contends it is owned by the town, the Club believes the passageway is no more than a driveway deeded to the Club in a three-way deal with the county decades ago.On September 24, the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club President Barrett Pickett complained to the board of ethics that Gregor violated the town’s ethic’s code by attempting to hard the Club financially by threatening to “inspect his intention to barricade” the portion of the road in question.Steven Leventhal, an attorney, in a decision dated December 5, wrote that the ethics board has no purview over such matters. “Because you have not alleged a violation of the standards of conduct set forth in the Code of Ethics, the board is not authorized to investigate your complaint,” he [email protected] Share
Richard Moriarty is to step down as chief executive of the Legal Services Board in February next year after only a year in post.He will return to the Civil Aviation Authority as deputy chief executive and group director, consumers and markets.
[av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’ BUZZER BEATER ‘ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=” subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’15’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=”]By ADRIAN STEWART CO[/av_heading][av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=”]‘Irreconcilable differences’IRRECONCILABLE differences was allegedly the reason why a certain PBA star parted ways with the only team that he played for in his many years in the league before the start of the 2016-2017 Oppo PBA Philippine Cup.A source revealed to the Buzzer Beater that the differences between the PBA star and the team has nothing to do with his poor performance in the last few years, but with politics.“Kasi nung eleksyon, vocal itong si PBA star sa pagsuporta dun sa isang mayoralty candidate dito sa Metro Manila. Hindi naman nakapagtataka kasi kaibigan at nakalaban niya ‘yun nung collegiate days niya,” said the source.“Nung nalaman nung mga bossing, pinatawag siya sinabihan siya na tigilan ang pagtulong kay mayoralty candidate kasi ang sinusuportahan daw ng kumpanya nila ‘yung kalaban,” he added.“Pero hindi nagpapigil itong si PBA star at vocal pa rin sa pangangapanya niya kay mayoralty candidate kaya ayun nanlamig ang trato sa kanya ng mga bossing,” the source further said.The source also noted that the team owner did not bar the PBA star from endorsing candidates and in fact the latter appeared in two political advertisements – one with a losing presidential candidate and another with a party-list group.The cold treatment toward the PBA star started during the third conference of the previous PBA season when his coach was not giving him heavy minutes or sometimes did not let him play at all, despite them losing and not entering the playoffs round.“Naramdaman niya rin naman ‘yun last conference kahit na nagtatatalo sila at nangungulelat hindi siya masyadong pinapalaro ni coach yun pala may utos na galing sa itaas,” the source said.“Yup, hindi na siya nagulat nung offseason nang bigla siyang i-trade sa ibang team. Mabuti na lang ‘yung nalipatan niya mga kaibigan niya rin kaya maganda ang trato sa kanya,” he added.Unlike in the first story, the difference between this burly PBA center and his current team is still reconcilable but a warning has been issued to him by the team owners before the new PBA season began.The source said that the team owners have already warned this burly PBA center that will be shipped to other PBA teams if he does not stop his involvement in the “point shaving” scheme.“Alam naman ng mga bossing na nagpo-point shaving siya. Actually, hindi lang siya, pati ‘yung dalawa niyang teammates. Yun isa na kagrupo niya, nadispatsa na kamakailan lang, ‘yun isa naman medyo hindi garapal kaya hindi sinisita,” he said.“Pati si coach alam yung kalokohan niya kaya nga kung palyado laro niya maririnig mo siyang sumisigaw ng ‘p********(name of the player)’ nagbebenta ka na naman ba ng laro?,” he added.“Para sa mga hindi nakakaalam, magkaiba ang point shaving sa game fixing. Sa point shaving, sinasadya nung player na paabutin na ganitong points lang ‘yung talo o panalo nila, sa game fixing, papatalo ka talaga,” he said.“Sa ngayon hindi pa naman siya pinapadalhan ng text na huwag na siyang sumali sa ensayo nila. Kaya sana lang tigilan na niya ‘yung kalokohan niya kundi bebenga talaga siya,” the source said./PN[/av_textblock][/av_one_full]
Parts fly off of A.J. Foyt EnterprisesÕ Jack Hawksworth (41) cart as the field of cars turns into turn one at the start of the the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis Saturday, May 9, afternoon at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.Penalties could still come from Saturday’s first-lap IndyCar Series crash at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and hold off saying it will be too little, too late.Scott Dixon might not feel better about his car getting turned around by Helio Castroneves in Turn 1 of the road course, and he surely will remain stuck in 10th place. But a decision by IndyCar could help Dixon win another series championship.It also could help Castroneves lose his first.IndyCar still reviewing Saturday’s first-lap crashPoints are precious in a series this competitive, particularly with a half-dozen title contenders, including Dixon and Castroneves, and any reduction likely will be felt when the parties gather for the season-ending event Aug. 28-30 at Sonoma (Calif.) Raceway.The past nine IndyCar championships have been decided at the season’s final race. Two drivers ended 2006 with the same number. Dario Franchitti won the ’10 title by just five points; Ryan Hunter-Reay won ’12 by three. The series is littered with close battles, with Castroneves involved in several of them.And remember, this year’s final race is worth twice the number of points.As of Monday — and that’s an important designation — the separation between Juan Pablo Montoya in first place and Castroneves in third is just 10 points.Any need to re-tabulate points won’t come until Wednesday because that’s when IndyCar announces post-race penalties, if necessary. Drivers punished for indiscretions in the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis will learn their fate before the news breaks.But it seems something is coming. Because it should.Cavin: How was that not avoidable contact?First, a historical reminder: At the season-opening race in St. Petersburg, Fla., Charlie Kimball took a similar bump from Graham Rahal, and Rahal was called to pit road for a drive-through penalty. Instead of contending for the win, Rahal finished 11th.In this case, Dixon was the No. 2 qualifier and turning into the right-hander when rear contact came from Castroneves. Dixon spun, holding his breath as trailing cars darted and spun around him. How Jack Hawksworth stopped his car without hitting Dixon is a testament to the grip of the Firestone tires. But the incident was reminiscent of what happened in St. Pete, and it’s called avoidable contact.“Just like the Graham deal,” Tony Kanaan said Monday. “Only different ruling.”(In the interest of full disclosure, Kanaan is Dixon’s teammate. Similarly, Montoya is Castroneves’ teammate, and he thought Saturday’s incident was a non-story.)Said Montoya: “You put us on the longest straight you can think of, you put a first-gear corner at the end of it, what do you think is going to happen?”Weighing in from a neutral corner was Sebastien Bourdais, who said, “Just be consistent with these (rulings) so we know what’s allowed.”Saturday’s Dixon-Castroneves contact caused those behind them to adjust; some did correctly, some not so much. Before Hawksworth slid to a stop, he bounced off Luca Filippi and that activity caused James Hinchcliffe to bounce off Josef Newgarden, who hit Stefano Coletti. The accordion effect made a mess of Turn 1.Doyel: Is the Grand Prix cursed?How IndyCar sorts through the debris will set the paddock mood for this week’s Indianapolis 500 practice.Several drivers could still hear from IndyCar, including the handful who used the escape road to improve their position.IndyCar president Derrick Walker kept his words measured Monday, but it seems he’s on the verge of saying something about someone. Castroneves could be one of those someones.Follow Star reporter Curt Cavin on Twitter: @curtcavin.
Former LSU head coach Les Miles and two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback Peyton Manning highlight the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame’s 2019 induction class. They and nine others will official enter the Hall on Saturday night at the annual Induction and Dinner Ceremony at the Natchitoches Events Center. It caps three days of Hall of Fame festivities beginning Thursday in Natchitoches. The Hall of Fame Rockin’ River Fest downtown on the riverfront Friday night from 6 until 10:30 will feature live music and an array of kid-friendly sports and science activities. Food vendors will also be on hand. Other members of the induction class of competitors and coaches are former Southern baseball coach Roger Cador, former Louisiana Tech quarterback Matt Dunigan, former LSU football player Max Fugler, Rodeo Hall of Fame member T.B. “T. Berry” Porter, Olympic women’s volleyball silver medalist Danielle Scott, Peabody High boys basketball coach Charles Smith and professional tennis umpire Marie Gagnard. Longtime Louisiana Tech play-by-play announcer Dave Nitz and sportswriter Phillip Timothy are the recipients of the Distinguished Service Award in Sports Journalism. Miles was named LSU’s head football coach in 2005 after Nick Saban left for the Miami Dolphins. He compiled a record of 114-34 in 11-plus seasons. Now the head coach at Kansas, Miles was let go four games into the 2016 season. He left as the second-winningest coach in LSU history behind Charles McClendon (137). Miles guided LSU to the 2007 BCS national championship. The Tigers lost to Alabama in the 2013 title game after winning their first 13 games. Manning is a five-time Associated Press NFL MVP. He played 13 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts and four with the Denver Broncos, winning a Super Bowl with each team. Cador was Southern’s baseball coach for 33 seasons, compiling a record of 913-597-1. Dunigan passed for 7,042 yards at Tech before enjoying a stellar 14-year career in the CFL (1983-96). Fugler was an All-America center and defensive lineman for LSU’s 1958 national championship team. Porter, a Leesville native, began his career as a rodeo cowboy at 16 in the 1940s and won numerous prestigious titles. Baton Rouge native Scott won Olympic silver medals in 2008 (Beijing) and 2012 (London). In 34 seasons, Smith has compiled a record of 1,039-181 at Peabody while winning seven state titles. Gagnard, the first native of Louisiana to become a professional umpire in tennis, has worked the U.S. Open 29 times, including 26 straight, since 1984. Nitz just completed his 44th season as the voice of Louisiana Tech (football, men’s basketball and baseball). Timothy has covered all levels of athletics in his four decades as a sportswriter. He has won more than 80 national, regional and state awards.Premier Diamond BoutiqueHong Kong’s first lab-grown diamond empirePremier Diamond Boutique|SponsoredSponsoredUndoNews gadgetThis watch takes the whole country by storm! it’s price? Ridiculous!News gadget|SponsoredSponsoredUndoTheTopFiveVPNThe Secret Netflix Doesn’t Want You To Know To Unblock RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPN|SponsoredSponsoredUndoPerfect-Dating.comAre You Ready to Meet Cool Guys in Tung Chung?Perfect-Dating.com|SponsoredSponsoredUndoTheTopFiveVPNThe Trick Netflix Doesn’t Want You To Know To Unlock RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPN|SponsoredSponsoredUndoAspireAbove.comRemember Abby from NCIS? Take A Deep Breath Before You See How She Looks NowAspireAbove.com|SponsoredSponsoredUndo
Associated Press Television News FOLLOW US LIVE TV COMMENT Last Updated: 20th March, 2020 11:32 IST Los Angeles Rams Release Running Back Todd Gurley The Los Angeles Rams have released Todd Gurley, their superstar running back with a massive contract and a troubling injury history. Written By SUBSCRIBE TO US First Published: 20th March, 2020 11:31 IST The Los Angeles Rams have released Todd Gurley, their superstar running back with a massive contract and a troubling injury history.The Rams made the move Thursday, several minutes before roughly $10 million in the three-time Pro Bowl selection’s contract became fully guaranteed.Gurley will consume $20.15 million in dead salary cap space this season for the Rams, who signed the 2015 first-round pick to a four-year, $60 million contract with $45 million guaranteed in June 2018. Gurley was cut before even playing the first year of that contract extension, which made him the highest-paid running back in the NFL at the time.Gurley had phenomenal seasons during his first two years in coach Sean McVay’s offense, rushing for 1,305 yards in 2017 and 1,251 in 2018 as those Rams reached the Super Bowl. But Gurley had a persistent left knee injury that limited his effectiveness down the stretch in 2018, and those problems carried over to last season.He rushed for a career-low 857 yards last year while playing sparingly, although McVay never acknowledged it was because of Gurley’s knee issue. WATCH US LIVE
Tipperary are looking to collect their first silverware of 2019 when they meet Clare in the Munster Hurling League final this weekend.The fixture details are expected to be published today.That’ll be swiftly followed by a second meeting between the sides in the National Hurling League opener at the end of January. Photo © Tipp FM Tipp FM Sports editor Stephen Gleeson says both games will be hotly contested.Sunday’s game will be broadcast live here on Tipp FM.