by The Canadian Press Posted Jul 25, 2016 2:06 pm MDT Last Updated Jul 25, 2016 at 3:00 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Kruger Products investing $55 million on new paper machine in Quebec CRABTREE, Qc – Tissue manufacturer Kruger Products L.P. has announced it’s investing $55 million to add a paper machine at its Crabtree plant in the Lanaudiere region of central Quebec.The project will increase the facility’s overall production by approximately 20,000 metric tonnes annually and will help preserve about 600 jobs.Kruger received a $39.5-million loan from Investissement Quebec, a provincial investment agency, as part of the expansion.The new No. 8 Paper Machine will be installed in a new building and is expected to start operating by the end of next summer.
“Lack of progress in resolving the outstanding security, economic and political issues between the two countries continued to directly impact stability and security inside the country, at the expense of efforts and investments towards peacebuilding and state-building activities and the delivery of essential service delivery to its citizens,” Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Hervé Ladsous told the Security Council. South Sudan became independent from Sudan in July last year, six years after the signing of the peace agreement that ended decades of warfare between the north and the south. However, the peace between the two countries has been threatened recently by clashes along their common border and outstanding post-independence issues that have yet to be resolved.Mr. Ladsous, who presented the Secretary-General’s latest report on South Sudan, stressed that tensions between the two States have subsided since they signed the 27 September Cooperation Agreements, which created a roadmap to facilitate post-secession relations. However, the slow implementation of these pacts could adversely impact economic and social stability in South Sudan, particularly if the export of oil is delayed.“Given the dependency of South Sudan on oil revenues, further delay in generating them would not only continue to negatively affect all Government development programmes but could also lead to tensions within its different components, including security services,” he said.While the country has remained stable for the past four months, the situation in the state of Jonglei is still challenging, Mr. Ladsous told the 15-member body. In December last year, inter-communal violence in the state between the Lou Nuer and Murle groups led to nearly 900 deaths, incidents of abductions of women and children, the destruction of homes and the displacement of thousands of civilians. Violence resurged this August, as a renegade group of armed youth killed 24 members of the South Sudanese army and displaced more civilians.Mr. Ladsous said progress towards inter-communal reconciliation has been slow, and urged a comprehensive and inclusive political process led by the Government to address the core grievance of constituencies.He added that the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has reinforced its presence in the state and remains in constant touch with the Government to counter violent activities and prevent abuses against civilians.Efforts to support capacity-building for South Sudan police forces are also critical, Mr. Ladsous said. “However, progress in this area requires key complementary legal and administrative reforms and significant resources which have been lacking so far,” he said, adding that the country will require sustained attention and investment to successfully build its infrastructure and resources in this regard.
A Chinese restaurant was “decimated” in the explosion and windows of pubs and houses were blown in.The jury was shown CCTV of the moment the blast happened, as well as before and after photos showing the damage to the area.Mr Lawrence said: “The scene, in the immediate aftermath of the explosion, was one of complete chaos. People were running everywhere.”People were lying on the floor, screaming and crying.”People were dazed and confused. The scene was one of utter devastation.”Witnesses said they saw Blasio, of Gillingham in Kent, moving furniture from the shop in the days leading up to the blast.The shop owner told investigators business had been good and was “ticking over quite nicely”, but Mr Lawrence told the court the “polar opposite” was true.He said: “He was on the point of bankruptcy.”His business was on the point of collapse.”He had already sold off much of his furniture in the three weeks prior to the explosion.”Trying to start a fire or destroy his shop was his last throw of the dice.”Mr Lawrence said Blasio told a “pack of lies” as he put in a claim for £51,000 plus loss of business to his insurers. A furniture shop owner on the brink of bankruptcy caused an explosion which injured 81 people in order to make a fraudulent insurance claim, a court has heard.Pascal Blasio, 57, is accused of causing the blast at the Homes In Style store in New Ferry, Wirral, on March 25 2017, when he was a week or two away from insolvency and then filing an insurance claim for more than £50,000.Opening the trial at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday, Nigel Lawrence QC, prosecuting, said Blasio had deliberately removed a cap from a live gas pipe and tampered with an emergency control valve, allowing gas to fill the shop, in an insurance job which “went badly wrong”.The blast, at about 9.15pm on a Saturday night, happened when the gas came into contact with an “unidentified ignition source”, which Mr Lawrence said may have been an electrical appliance in the shop.Mr Lawrence said the damage caused was “almost apocalyptic” with 63 properties destroyed or damaged.Eighty-one people sustained injuries including lacerations and burns as well as psychological trauma.Among the injured was Lewis Jones, 21, who suffered a serious brain injury and was “left clinging to life”.Mr Lawrence said: “The explosion in New Ferry on the night of March 25 2016 could easily have led to the loss of many lives. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Blasio denies causing an explosion and a count of fraud.The trial, which is expected to last up to four weeks, was adjourned until Thursday morning. Pascal BlasioCredit:Eleanor Barlow/PA “It was genuinely luck, sheer luck, that prevented this from happening.”